Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fairtrade01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
    False advertising?
    I found an ad that displayed a price of 600$ for two rooms. I was delighted because If I found a roomie it would be cheap rent. So I found a roomie and we each signed a lease for it. We asked the landlord if we split the rent and he said yes (while we were looking at the lease), so we signed. Now the landlord wants 600$ from each of us because we each signed a separate lease for 600$. Can I sue for some sort of fraud if I have the original ad?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairtrade01
    I found an ad that displayed a price of 600$ for two rooms. I was delighted because If i found a roomie it would be cheap rent. So I found a roomie and we each signed a lease for it. We asked the landlord if we split the rent and he said yes (while we were lookin at the lease), so we signed. Now the landlord wants 600$ from each of us because we each signed a separate lease for 600$. Can I sue for some sort of fraud if I have the original ad?
    Charging you both $600 doesn't sound like a split. What does it specify on the lease? One lease or two? I one of you leaves, will he be able to rent out the other room? I'd reread the lease and if it's not to late bail out on that landlord, NOW!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 04:23 PM
    You both should have signed ONE lease that would have stated that you both tenants collectively responsible for the $600 a month rent. Instead the landlord had you both sign a leases saying you would each individually pay $600 for rent.

Its not false advertising but he is trying to scam you. I would try to get out of the lease.
    Fairtrade01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Is it possible to get out of this lease though without getting sued by the landlord, or being responsible for compensation?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Most states have a "bail-out" clause, commonly three business days.
    (editted)
    My bad. I stand corrected. See post # 6
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Most states DO NOT have "bail out" 72 hour/3 day recision time for leases... that rule applies to home loans on owner occupied properties.

Have a discussion with your landlord about your expectations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advertising in monopoly [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I want to get an answer of a question mentioned below: Why & how advertisement is often used as a combative strategy by a firm?

False Rental Advertising & Maintenance issues [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a basement apartment in May of 2007. In the advertisement it states that the carpet is new, the bathroom is newly renovated and it also says if you sign a year lease you get a free Sega Dreamcast with 2 Controllers and 20 games. It is now August 3rd and I have never received the Sega...

Advertising Amazement [ 21 Answers ]

I've just read this on the BBC news website; BBC NEWS | UK | Ban on rerun of eggs TV advert And I'm stunned... How, in a world where companies can basically lie about how great their product is, can another complany not be allowed to show an advert saying that eating an egg a day is a...

Advertising expenses [ 1 Answers ]

In a manufacturing company, advertising expenses would be classified as: -direct expense - manufacturing overhead -period expense -product expense

Business advertising [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wandering what is the best way to advertise my business to a broad area. Another question Also how long should I wait to expect someone to call me about my business.

View more questions Search