Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    disneysfk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Custody of Great Niece
    Hi there, nice to find this site, and be here! Anyway, down to topic at hand. I have an 8 year old niece, who I have intermittently taken care of over the past 8 years. So, since day one really. Anyway, I have had her for months at time, sometimes days, sometimes just one day, so on and so forth. My queston, her mom is now throwing a hissy fit, and will not allow me to see her. I am the adult that takes her to school, does her homework with her, makes sure she is clean/fed for school. I taught her to read, etc. Now, her mother on the other hand, jumps from job to job, is filthy dirty, lives in a pig sty, and feeds her daughet (when she has her) chips for supper. I think this gives you some idea as to the situation. Now, I am looking to either get shared custoday, or even sole custody, either would be fine by me. I want to know, is this worth pursuing? I know we have quite an extend family relationship, but, at the same time, I have been put in the situation to be her 'surrogate' mother. Anythoughts?

Yours truly.
    General Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by disneysfk
    Hi there, nice to find this site, and be here!! Anyway, down to topic at hand. I have an 8 year old neice, who I have intermittently taken care of over the past 8 years. So, since day one really. Anyway, I have had her for months at time, sometimes days, sometimes just one day, so on and so forth. My queston, her mom is now throwing a hissy fit, and will not allow me to see her. I am the adult that takes her to school, does her homework with her, makes sure she is clean/fed for school. I taught her to read, etc. Now, her mother on the other hand, jumps from job to job, is filthy dirty, lives in a pig sty, and feeds her daughet (when she has her) chips for supper. I think this gives you some idea as to the situation. Now, I am looking to either get shared custoday, or even sole custody, either would be fine by me. I want to know, is this worth pursuing? I know we have quite an extend family relationship, but, at the same time, I have been put in the situation to be her 'surrogate' mother. Anythoughts?

Yours truly.
    You're in a real sticky situation.

First, the child has a mother and mom holds the keys.

Second, your chances of custodian are slim... I'd get Child Protective Services (CPS) envolved. They can research allogations of abuse.

If the child is taken by CPS... the child may be able to have a new start. You may or may not have the opportunity at custody.

This will be very expensive. Let CPS investigate all it can before you spend too much on this.

When you see mom... try not to argue and keep your playing cards to yourself. You do not want to say anything that mom may act out on the child.
    krisie_k Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 07:42 AM
    How do I get custody of my niece from her mom whoms abusing drugs ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Niece is ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a relationship with my niece we have been close for about 4 yrs or more , since I met my boyfriend and I have plans with him she gets so mad she sends me hateful ,mean text messages that are so upsetting I get depressed for a week or two at a time. She says that I don't care and she...

Custody of ny niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My younger sister asked me to help her out for a week or two by taking her son(2yrs) and her daughter(7mo.), its has been a little over a month but it seems as if my sister does not want to take responsibility of her children, which is not a problem for me because I would love to have them with me,...

What can I do to save my great niece from going to the state [ 9 Answers ]

My niece was asked by dcf to provide a urine test and failed the test what can I do as aunt to help my great niece?

Visitation rights to my niece [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is in jail. My dad is trying to get custody of her daughter, my niece. I do not have a problem with that, but I want to be sure that I get to see her. Can I get visitation rights to her without having to fight for custody, if so , HOW? I would really like to do this without a lawyer, if...

I want custody of my niece! [ 3 Answers ]

I need custody of my niece she is being neglected by her mother. Her mother is supporting her boyfriend that has no job and no car that is living off her and abusing both of them physcially. I need help getting her outa that household.

View more questions Search