Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2005, 08:29 PM
    Wasps !
    Anyone know of a good way to get rid of wasps? I bought one of those traps (yellow) with bait inside, hung it next to the "hive" and now after 3 days not even one wasp.

Looked at the directions and it says " not for paper wasps" . What's a paper wasp and how do you tell? How do you get rid of them? Had to of my kids stung, and a few of the neighbor kids too..
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Is the hive papery? Or is it made of dirt? Either way what I like to do is spray them good fashioned with bug killer made for wasps, pretty much should kill them instantly or shortly there after, then after all is said and done, knock the nest out and smash it. Also I've used this... some wet chewing tobacco on the site. Or wetted tobacco from a cig, ( no I don't do either ) but it works to help take the sting away, been stung by yellow jackets, hornets, etc.
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2005, 08:24 AM
    I guess it's "papery"... It's a little bigger then a golf ball, and has the "honeycomb" exposed... you can see the suckers crawlin in and out of the holes. They have long legs that hang behind them, when they fly. And they seem to hover over my lawn, during the daylight hours. You think they are feeding on something in my lawn?

Thanks for the response.

SWA
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2005, 11:28 AM
    Ants and spiders and little bugs, if it's a honeycomb paper like hive. They are paper ones.
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2005, 06:53 PM
    If you can see the individual cells and your concerned about chemicals around the kids try fantastic orange. It is not labeled for wasp control but I found it very effective at killing adult wasps. Avoid bright colored clothing and wear gloves when applying. Apply directly to adult wasps took about 45 seconds for mine to die I needed to reapply when more adults returned to nest I did not have any wasp spray handy and this product worked great for me.

If your wasp nest is completely covered then you are lookiing at a paper wasp. Do not use this method use a product labeled for wasps If they are black and white do not treat yourself. they are bald face hornets and very aggressive. you will be stung please call a professional!!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Preventing wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't...

Preventing Wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer my entire family got stung by wasps. There was about 10 different nests under the railing of our large deck. The most problemsome was the nests near the gates that connected the deck to the pool area. We tried sprays of all kinds then just resorted to avoiding the main gate, but this...

View more questions Search