Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2004, 08:38 PM
    Using HP Pavilion application recovery cd
    Dear Help Desk,

I'm getting ready to do a reformat using the application recovery disk that came with my computer 5 years ago. I didn't get a separate windows 98 disk so I gather its on this disk from HP that came with my computer when I got it. Everything will be the way it was when it came from the factory. I did this before quite some time ago but did something wrong so want to try it again. Everything is so outdated now that I want to find out what I need to do to be able to get back on line after I reformat so I can start all over again with a clean computer that will work right. The last time I discovered that I couldn't install my ISP software without getting some updates first. Trouble is, if I can't install the software and get on line how can I get the updates?? Is it IE6 I need to install before I can install my ISP software and get on line to get the rest of the updates or something else? What's the first thing I do after using this HP Pavilion application recovery Disk?
    Please Help
    Thanks sincerely,
    Kat555lady
    I also discovered on looking at my computer... system devices, that all of the drivers are from 1999.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Sep 17, 2004, 03:49 PM
    Re: Using HP Pavilion application recovery cd
    Dear Help Desk,

I'm getting ready to do a reformat using the application recovery disk that came with my computer 5 years ago. I didn't get a separate windows 98 disk so I gather its on this disk from HP that came with my computer when I got it. Everything will be the way it was when it came from the factory. I did this before quite some time ago but did something wrong so want to try it again. Everything is so outdated now that I want to find out what I need to do to be able to get back on line after I reformat so I can start all over again with a clean computer that will work right.

The last time I discovered that I couldn't install my ISP software without getting some updates first.
    What ISP do you have?

]
    Trouble is, if I can't install the software and get on line how can I get the updates??
    Well, you're kind of stuck there, aren't you? :)

]
    What's the first thing I do after using this HP Pavilion application recovery Disk?
    Well, the first thing you do, is get the thing behind a firewall. If you put a clean-install win98 machine online without any protection, you'll get hit with viruses before you can say "windows-update". The best solution here is a hardware firewall/router, which not only will put some base defenses between your computer and the internet, it will also take care of getting your machine online with almost no hassle.

If that's not an option, install a software firewall. But you've got to have _something_ because the viruses will have a six year advantage.

What ISP do you have?

~psi42

Sep 17, 2004, 04:57 PM
    psi42

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm stuck. I like my isp, been using them from the beginning and never had any problems with them. My problems come from my stupidity or lack of knowledge. I figure if I just start all over I won't make the same mistakes... hopefully.
    Thanks for the info about the fire wall. I hear zonealarm is good so I'll try that one.
    argeldeggy Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2004, 05:35 AM
    You should have 2 system recovery cds, and 1 application recovery cd, the application recovery cd will not be need to reformat your computer.

What you do is shutdown your computer for 10 seconds

Now start your PC and instantly put the first disc in ( disc 1 of 3 ) once the system recovery appears follow the instruction on the screen.

Sep 28, 2004, 02:52 PM
    Using HP Pavilion application recovery cd
    Argeldeggy,

Thanks for the help. I have only two tapes, one for system recovery and one for applcation recovery. I used the system recovery one and followed all the instructions. I didn't do a reformat but it just put everything back on my compter that came with it on day one. I haven't used the application recovery yet, not sure if I'm suppose to since everything is 5 years old. Thanks
    Kat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need advice on fertilizer application [ 4 Answers ]

My goal is to control/eliminate the broadleaf weeds such as dandelions. I'd like to apply a Weed and Feed type fertilizer tonight but the weather forecast is calling for 3 days of light rain - is this good in that it'll help the fertilizer to get into the soil or is it bad because the rain may wash...

Please help with my hp pavilion a200n cd-rom [ 2 Answers ]

OK... im a big gamer but my mom picked out the computer for my birthday.. it runs the games I like.. rather used to but now my cd-rom is totally *****ed up I got new cd-roms blah blah same thing... I got a new "wire thingy" that runs from the cd rom to the motherboard.. SAME THING.. I also put in...

HP Pavilion a200n Desktop - no XP cd? [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased an HP Pavilion a200n Desktop in 2003 and am wanting to format the hardrive, but I now realized that I do not have an operating system CD. The HP website suggests creating a recovery CD. However, won't that just restore the system back to the state it was in when the recovery CD...

HP Pavilion hibernate problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Don't know if it's a hardware or software problem, (I'm on XP home) but if I hibernate with mains power on and try to bring back to life on battery power, the screen stays blank (and black) regardless of what keys I hit. I have to force close it and restart. I think it's the same when I...

Application Hijacking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm experincing a couple of problems but I'll post each one as a separate thread to enable others experincing similar problems to hopefully find the solution without having to ask again. Should I be concerned about this? (4 entries in my security log): (All the same REMOTE MAC :...

View more questions Search