Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Bathroom sink hot water shut-off valve
    I live in a house on columns. In following the instructions for removing a bathroom sink faucet I turned the shut-off valves off. The cold side did not run, but I am getting a drip from the hot side... a drop every second or two. I tried shutting off the supply downstairs. But the drip persists. The shut-off valve is not dripping, it just does not want to shut off completely. It was installed new about 4.5 years ago.

I have not disassembled anything yet because I don't want to make a big mess. What can I do to be able to replace the faucet without damaging the water heater or having a lot of water in the bathroom?

Thanks. BWD
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
    The part that is leaking, is it from the actual shut off valve (or hose that connects to the valve), or is it dripping from the actual faucet?

Just need clarification on this.

The reason I ask is because when you shut off the valve there is still pressure between your faucet and the valve.. but cause its OFF no "new" water will go to bathroom sink. So, if your faucet is leaking this is an easy fix.

Anyway, quick question and easy for you to verify. Get back to us when you have an answer
    bwd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 05:48 AM
    After I shut off the valve, the dripping was coming from the faucet. When I mentioned this to someone at the home improvement store, he suggested using a pair of pliers to see if I could get the valve tighter to eliminate the drip. If not, he suggested turning on the hot water at other sinks, tub, etc. to releave the pressure then put a pan under the valve to catch any water escaping while I change out the water supply tubes for the new faucet.

Please let me know if this is the correct advice.

Thanks.

bwd
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 08:13 AM
    It is not uncommon for main shuts offs to seep a bit once they are closed. This small amount of dripping will not affect most repairs. Open all faucets once you shut down the main. Have your replacement parts ready and a few towels to mop up any drips.
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 06:46 AM
    That's really good. The faucet leak is an easy and safe fix! You have good advice so just follow it.

When you hook up the supply hose to your faucet make sure to use lots of teflon tape and a good cresent or pipe wrench to tighten it.

Knucklez
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Some times a drip is a drop in the bucket , and I wouldn't worry about the hot

Water heater, it has water in it doesn't it... If you can shut off the water to the

Sink install a new shut off at the sink and turn it off... best to have

Good shut off at sink... Now you have time to complete repairs and will be

(patting yourself on the back) glad you have a shut off at the sink if you need to

Make repairs down the road... If you don't feel comfortable doing plumbing,

Get lots of advice, or find some one who knows how to do it...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
    I would take bigisies advice and change out the hot water angle stop, (see image) If your angle stop's a compression stop like the image then just change out the valve body and leave the old compression nut and ferrule.
    Also, a basin wrench,(see image) is just made for installing lavatory faucets. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Replacing hot water angle stop to shut off valve [ 5 Answers ]

My angle stop seems to be soldered to copper piping. How do I change it to keep the hot water shut oof valve from leaking water when turned off?

Shut off sink valve for hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Our sink's hot water won't shut off. We have tried what we thought was the shut off valve, located under the sink with no success. Any suggestions on how to shut if off.

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

View more questions Search