Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    x2scorp Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Mother-in-law needs to move out
    :confused: I have been helping my mother-in-law out for about 4-5 months. She needed a place to stay and get her life back on track. She has no place to go and is on medicine for bipolar. We try to get her to look for apartments and stuff and she rarely does it. Plus she sleeps on my couch and is sleeping all the time. She doesn't pay any rent but she does help buy groceries with her food stamps. County services would be paying her rent so I don't understand what the problem is. Oh, plus her ex boyfriend keeps calling and trying to get her to come back which is very bothering(he got another woman pregnant.) Am, I just beeingto mean, but I want her to get out. How do I get rid of my Mother-in-law?:(
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Your spouse needs to take her out and find her a place and tell her that it is time for her to move on. If she is sleeping on the couch, then it is obvious you don't have room for her. She most likely is frightened to live on her own. Get a list of 3 or 4 apartment complexes in her budget and get going.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Aug 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Arrange for a meeting with your mother in law, her children and the county social worker to set up a schedule and arrangements for her to move into another safe arrangement where she can get appropriate assistance and care. It sounds like she's not well enough to make the plans on her own, and you may have to take actions legally to get some control over making these decisions for her as a family.

Let her know that you think it's unhealthy for her to be sleeping on the couch all the time, and to have no privacy, and that you want to return to having separate homes, also, for the benefit of your family relationships with her. She may be offended, but you can't worry about it = you have to do what's best.

She may benefit from being in an assisted living situation and perhaps the county can help with a placement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

Family Law need to move [ 5 Answers ]

I am 18 and divorced and living with my parents.I have joint custody and have the primary resident for my 11 month old. We have lived with my parents sense the baby was 2 months old. My mom has been the sole babysitter while I work . I don't make much and can't afford a place to rent and all that...

Can I move house with new mother and kitten? [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has just given birth to 1 beautiful kitten (the 2nd was stillborn). They are getting along well, and currently living in a box I set up as their nest some weeks ago. However I need to move house within the next week, and need to know if and when it is safe to move the mother and her kitten....

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search