Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitkat1986 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Town was Black
    Hi All
    I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I'm living in I resenlty moved to ireland & I'm hearing the phrase "town was black" or "the bus was black" a lot. Although I know it means that town & the bus were busy I was wondering about the origin of this phrase. Could anyone shed any light as to whether this word has a race orientated meaning?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:48 AM
    From: The O'Byrne Files ©  Dublin Slang Dictionary - the letter 'B'
    It means that it was crowded.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
    My guess is that it probably derived from something demeaning to the Black Irish. Which are the dark haired Irish who were descendent from the Spanish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son wants to move out of town for a new HS [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, My 16 yr old son moved in with family out of town and transferred to new high school which has made him much happier. He wants to live with us again, but still attend his new school. We are both torn of how to handle this. He does not want to ask us to move, and we don't want to...

A redneck family goes to town. [ 1 Answers ]

A redneck family from the hills was visiting the city and they were In a mall for the first time in their lives. The father and son were Strolling around while the wife shopped. They were amazed by almost Everything they saw, but especially by two shiny, silver walls that Could move apart...

He works out of town [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfreind works out of town and he is not here all the time and when he is out of town it is hard to know what he is doing and sometimes when I talk to him he is not in a good mood what should I think ?

I will be out of town for a few weeks.. . [ 6 Answers ]

And I'm not sure how often I will have computer access. I will answer questions when I can, I will also be checking my [email protected] email address. So those with ceiling fan questions, please be patient, or perhaps Rick, Labman, and/or TK will step in. Thank you!

View more questions Search