Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motherof3 Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Aug 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Bad credit with macy's and they want to reopen my account
    I had a macy's credit card with a $700 limit, I fell behind in payments so of course with late fees and interest it is now $1008.00. A collection company called me and said if I make at least a $200 payment a month they will reopen the account once paid off and the limit will be $1008, Does this sound funny to anyone, I had bad credit with them why would they open it for me with a higher limit. I guess I want to know if this collection company is for real?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
    They are for real, but what they want is for you to pay something on the account which resets the SOL so they can then obtain a judgement against you. Do not pay them anything unless you can pay in full. Check the laws where you are, even offerring to pay might start the SOL again.

Ask them to verify the debt. Tell them, that if they provide proof, you would consider paying half the owed amount to settle the account (assuming you can do that).

Aug 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I do want to pay them, I am trying to fix my credit, I just do not understand why they would offer me a higher limit when I screwed up my account with them. I would never use the account again the interest is way too high. If its open with a zero balance is that better on my credit?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Maybe, it could count as too much available credit for you. Like I said, you should offer to settle for a lumpsum of half what's owed.

Aug 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to buy a house with bad credit, no credit, and no money down [ 22 Answers ]

I'm a mother of two, one 22 who is going to have a baby in oct. who is with the daddy of the baby, he is trying very hard, working all the time. But most of his money is going towards the baby. Then one 17 who is mildy mental retarded, They all live in a one room basement apartment. They really...

Can you reopen a Workers Comp Case? [ 3 Answers ]

I was hurt at work over 2 yrs ago and went to court 2 yrs later. My lawyer didn't supena any of the witnesses I gave him. The other parties that were for the other side lied. Needless to say the judge denied my claim. My lawyer told me that to appeal the case I would never win, so I tried doing...

Credit card account [ 1 Answers ]

Equifax Credit report showed Providian Bank as actived. Which sent me credit cards I did not want, and I sent them back. Since the account was never active or used. It should be removed or closed. As a previous askme member told me. But here is the problem Providian Bank does not exist any...

Bad checking account [ 1 Answers ]

I had an bank account that was closed by the bank, however the balance that was owe was not a valid balance. Because I had fraud on my account and I advised the bank of this. They temp closed the account, but opened it back up after the investigation. A charge came threw on my account and I told...

CD-R I can't reopen any files saved on it. [ 3 Answers ]

I saved a ton of jpegs on a CD-R and I'm unable to access any of the files on the disc. I've been able to get to the files in the past, but some reason, now I can't. I've tried 3 different computers, even a Mac. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

View more questions Search