Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desalad Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Map of Home Electrical System
    Hi again. I just bought a new (to me) home and want to get a handle on the electrical system. The home has 100amp service with a breaker box (95% of slots filled). What is the best way to determine what outlets and switches in the house are connected to which breakers, and how much room I have to expand or add outlets and lighting if necessary.

The box is labeled, but I don't believe that it is completely accurate. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2005, 01:45 PM
    I find tha absolute best, accurate method is to shut off all the breakers, turn one on and go hunting for everything that is on. You can create a sketch of the floor plan showing all the lights, outlets, switches, and appliances, and label each symbol with the circuit number. Do this one circuit at a time, until each symbol has a circuit number.

Nice weekend project, may only take 4-6 hours , even if you take your time.
    desalad Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Thank you for your reply, and for your A/C question reply. I'll try to map everything out this weekend. That will also help me figure out what is on the same circuit as the A/C unit. I'll get back on with some numbers early next week

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating system for log home [ 5 Answers ]

We are in the process of building a log home. 1. Size of the home is 1796 sq ft. second floor is 534 sq ft. catheral ceiling, home will be on full basement. 2. planning to use propeane for heat. And will have central air. 3. What would to the best size propane heat unit and central air...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Are fresh air returns needed in a home system? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old existing AC/heating unit and my contractor recommended not putting in a fresh air return in the system. My impression is that one is needed. Our house was built in '64 and is not air tight. I want to insure we do not have a sick house syndrome. Any educated information would...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search