Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan221 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Plead the 5th
    My attorney sent my soon to be ex-wife attorney a list of questions that he wanted my wife to answer. Our case is scheduled for court in mid October. My wife’s attorney called her into her office and had my wife to answer these questions. My wife chose to plead the 5 th when asked about her drug use and adultery. The other questions she has lied on most of them and I can prove her lies because of my recordings between us that she has no clue about (Alabama).
    My wife has admit to me about her past affairs, my wife was in drug rehab from 4/25/07 – 07/21/07. My question is what can I do since she has pleaded the 5th on her drug use and adultery?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 08:46 AM
    You are allowed to impeach a witness. She can plead the 5th on the drug stuff because there are criminal statutes that she might have violated. Not sure about the adultery stuff unless adultery is illegal in your area.

Bottomline though, if she wants to plead the 5th she can. Unless you have separate prooof, you can do nothing.

Aug 28, 2007, 08:58 AM
    I have her on recording talking about some pills she has been taking. My attorney has also asked for her medical records from rehab.

Aug 28, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Was the recording made with her knowledge? If not, depending on your state, it may not be admissible. You need to discuss this with your attorney.

I wonder, though, what bearing this has on the divorce?

Aug 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
    I can record in Alabama. The reason for this question is for our custody case. My kids (5&7) caught her in bed with her 22 year old drug dealer one morning. Once she got into rehab she started another relationship with a male patient there. She told me that he tried to commit suicide while in rehab. This is not the kind of man I want my kids around. Each time she received a pass out of rehab she chose to go see him instead of her on kids. I have temp. custody of our children at this time. I found out also while she was in rehab she took our kids to school late 87 time this past year.

Aug 28, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I think you probably have enough evidence, but you can't force her to incriminate herself. However, I'm sure a judge will take that all into account.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Actually, pleading the 5th protects one against self-incrimination in a criminal proceeding. Since your ex-to-be is not charged with any crime I don't know if the 5th amendment even applies. I would think that, unless advised to the contrary, any statements she'd make in a civil deposition could not be used as evidence against her in any future criminal proceedings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I display ECU codes on a 1993 Civic (5th gen)? [ 10 Answers ]

Can't seem to find that info on the net, only up to 91 (4th gen). Thanks, Phil

5th grade, late assingments, math! What shuld I do? [ 5 Answers ]

HI, I am sheanna and I am entering the 5th grade. Its all right you now, I know its going to be fun, but I am worried about math and my late assignments. I am not very good at getting assingnment in on time, and I totally suck at math, what shuld I do? Sheanna :confused:

Am I being ripped off? 10 year old Trane unit down for 5th time this summer [ 31 Answers ]

Hello. I feel totally at a loss here and vulnerable to the a/c company who I have a service contract (perhaps foolishly) with. First my a/c went out last June. I was told it was just a fuse, and it started working fine right away. No big deal, less than 100 bucks. One day later it went out...

Told to plead "Not Guilty" [ 13 Answers ]

I recently met with my lawyer on a 3rd degree felony. He said that I won't face prison time, and most likely not jail time either. The crime was retail theft. He also said that he was going to try to get it knocked down to a misdomeanor. He then said that I would plead "Not Guilty". I asked...

View more questions Search