Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nofear13 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Bank run or ran?
    What is a bunk run? Or is it a bunk ran?
    Ether of that! Wat's the meaning?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
    A run on a bank is a panic when depositors believe a bank may go under and they try to withdraw their funds.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Ever see "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed? The part where he uses his honeymoon money to cover the demands by the depositors is a good example of a bank run (although that institution was a savings and loan.)

Banks don't keep all the money you deposit in a box somewhere. They invest it and it is spread out all over the place. If every depositer of one particular bank came in and withdrew all their money, the bank would not be able to produce the cash and in turn would fold. When depositors feel nervous that their bank is going to close and they won't get their money it can cause a run - Everyone is running to the bank to get their money.

Nowadays, depositors can feel safe that their accounts up to $100,000 are protected by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation that would cover up to that much if they bank folded.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    If ever depositer of one particular bank came in and withdrew all their money, the bank would not be able to produce the cash and in turn would fold.
    I think Em meant if EVERY depositor...

I was also thinking of using It's a Wonderful Life. Another example is the scene in Mary Poppins.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Thanks Scottgem - funny how dropping one letter can change the meaning!

I had forgotten about Mary Poppins - shows how two pence can cause a bank run!
    nofear13 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Tnks for the meaning!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would happen if I ran away [ 9 Answers ]

What would happen if I ran away and then get caught by the cops, would I get in big trouble with them, what if I kept doing it again would child services take me away from my mom??

Need approx 97,000 to payoff bank note @ 145,00 bank will forgive the rest, any ideas [ 4 Answers ]

Who do we turn to? Anyone willing to invest in us?? Grants or loans we don't know??

My dog got ran over [ 2 Answers ]

He is a 1-year old lab and he got ran over by my neighbors who are also my relatives. He had an emergency surgery - he had 2 holes in his bladder and the surgery cost $1,100. The dog is fine, thank God, but that's a lot of money and they don't want to pay a penny! It happened in their yard and in...

Dog ran over [ 5 Answers ]

My dog was just ran over by a boat trailer (Suv pulling it). She did walk back to the back yard, very slowly. What should I watch for? Internal injuries?

Smell after AC is ran. [ 2 Answers ]

I been getting a strange smell after the AC is ran almost like a gaseous smell, we been redoing the hardwood floors and trying to keep well ventilated with windows open and AC on to keep humidity down. I check all the gas lines with my meter for leaks and none found, could this smell be freon? Or...

View more questions Search