Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelsie_andreasm Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2005, 10:31 AM
    Memory
    What is the difference bet. Physical memory and virtual memory. I have a total physical memory of 256MB and available is 29.70 MB while virtual is 2.00GB and available 1.96MB. Does this mean that I do not have enough space that's why I'm having slow startup?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 2, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Physical memory is ram - small sticks that you insert directly into the motherboard. The system runs from this and the more the better.

If you were to use up all the physical memory the computer could not open any new programs and it would freeze. Therefore when the physical memory starts getting full, anything that has not been used for a while is moved to your hard disk drive (where all your documents are stored whilst the computer is off). This allows the physical memory to be available for new programs and data.

Put basically the virtual memory is like an overflow area on your hard disk for when the physical memory gets full.

Hope this helps, maybe some others have a better explanation
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Virtual memory used to be called a swap file. As Stu said its kind of any overflow area so when your physcial RAM is filled, your computer will swap out stuff stored in physcial memory but not used for a while to space on your hard drive. And then fill that space with info that is currently being used. Virtual memory does operate more lowly then physical RAM, so if you are constantly swapping from Virtual Memory it can slow things down.

At the time you took those readings if it truly showed 1.96MB of virtual memory available then you are running too much. It would really help to get more RAM. Also you should check to see what's loading as advised in the other thread. You probably are loading way more than you need.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Memory
    Hi,
    256 MB means RAM, which is the memory used in background running programs, or memory used while you have many windows open at the same time.
    Virtual Memory is the amount of space that you let windows use on your hard drive, to swap files back and forth, while open programs, running programs.
    If you have let windows set your Virtual Memory for you, then it's using the entire hard drive for this "swap" file space... and it WILL slow down the computer somewhat. The computer will be running all over the hard drive, looking for files!

Navigate to Control Panel > System > Performance > Virtual Memory and choose "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings".

Windows will give you a pop-up saying "Don't do this", but do it anyway, click on YES or OK.
    Specify the same amount of space for minimum and maximum swap file size. Rule of thumb is twice the amount of RAM you have. For Example: If you have 256 MB RAM, then type in 512 for both the Min. and Max. numbers.

Then, re-boot the computer.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2005, 06:08 AM
    Fred,
    She has XP, the instructions you gave her are not valid for XP. When are you going to learn to make sure of your answers before you give people the wrong information??

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Loving Memory. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am posting this in Other Family & People, instead of Pets & Animals, because our 12 yrs old mixed breed housedog, terrior-poodle, Molly, was our "home" family. Our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson live about 4 hours drive away. I am hoping this well help me, and I know my wife has been...

Pny memory [ 5 Answers ]

Has any one had any experience with PNY memory? I saw Tiger Direct had some on sale for a good price. The reviews aren't so good. Many incompatible problems. I have a emachines t3882. There website said it could take 400mhz pc3200 512mb ddr memory. I haven't looked inside my machine yet to see what...

Not enough memory [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, sometimes when I attempt to connect to a web site, doesn't matter which one, I get a message that says not enough memory to run this program close one or more programs. If I do C/A/D to see what is running, the normal stuff is there and then Webshots, webshots all the way down the little...

Explorer.exe using 99% of memory! [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever I try and open my music folder, things start going VERY slow. Task manager shows that explorer.exe is using 99% of the CPU to try and open the folder. Around the same time this started, windows media player went on the fritz. Also, when I try and uninstall recently installed...

View more questions Search