Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Audi51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 06:16 AM
    New Roof on House
    Can someone tell me what to look for in a roofer and what questions to ask the contractor before I have someone do the job? Thank you
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 1, 2007, 06:58 AM
    If you have any friends that have had roof work done , id be more inclined to use them if they have nothing bad to say about the contractor.
    You can also call you local home improvement store for references.

If you have no friends to call for this and no Lowe's or homedepot stores , just use the phone book.
    I actually just thought of this, if you know of any carpenters call them, they'll usually have roofers they use when they need them
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Oct 18, 2007, 06:51 AM
    In addition to glavine's reply, if there is a Lowe's or Home Depot in the area (within 25-30 miles) both chains will offer roofing installation. They will measure the roof and give you the amount it will be for the entire job. This comes with a 1 year warranty on the installation. If there is a problem, you do not need to remember who did the job and try to get them back. All you do is call the store and they take care of it. Lowe's has a labor price in my region of $135 per square (for a single layer full tear off). Materials will run between $40 to $70 per square (depending on shingle type, vents ect). Since the installer will be doing an estimate first, you do not need to get up on the roof and measure.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Both Tommy and Glav are correct but you should also ask if they can show proof of insurance. If a installer gets hurt while on your property you don't want that to come back on you. Keep in mind that when you call HD or Lowe's they are both using subs. Those roofer do not actually work directly for HD so don't assume they have insurance.
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Oct 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I have worked at Lowe's for 10 years (lumber/millwork). The installers that Lowe's and HD uses must have full and up to date insurance. Lowe's mandates at least 2 million in coverage. I do not have the numbers for HD but their install program is very similar to Lowe's. The installers must also be licensed for the work they do. If an installer that does flooring is not licensed to do roofing, the job will not be assigned to them.
    Of course, going through Lowe's, Sears or HD is somewhat higher priced. The corporation wants their share of the labor. But the consumer get convenience and knows if there is a problem, the corporation is standing behind the job. I have seen many local roofing contractors attempt to get on with Lowe's but were disqualified. It is actually a tough program to get into.
    YouBetcha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Home Depot provides a 2 to 25 year installation warranty on roofing and a 4 million dollar insurance policy on all workers who are background checked. I often read these comments from folks online and they way too often are completely misinformed. Sears offers a 1 year installation warranty as does Lowe's. Home Depot has the largest warranty on roofing in the Nation and is back 100% by Home Depot. Not the manufacturers of the roofing products used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Snake in roof of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, How do you get a snake out of the roof? The snake only appeared this week but it has already killed two of our wild lorikeets. My family home is a two-storey with verandahs so the snake has a lot of places to hide. We are desperate to be rid of it. Any suggestions will be very...

View more questions Search