Ask
    MAxelectric Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Transient voltage surge suprssor
    How TVSS works ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 03:26 AM
    They work by shorting out voltages above the design voltage. An ordinary electrical outlet will arc and short at 1000 volts. Varistors are back to back zener diodes that close at a design voltage shorting out anything higher. I am less acquainted with the plasma arc ones. I will suggest moving this to the E&L forum where you should get more information.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 03:41 AM
    As Labman said ZNR's are back to back Zener diodes or what I might call a power Zener diode. The reverse breakdown of a diode can be taylored. The mechanism is Zener or Avalanche breakdown. This reverse breakdown is exploited in Transient Voltage Suppressors (e.g Transorb, ZNR). They effectively regulate at the breakdown voltage. They can destructively short or open when subjected to severe transients. They usually short.

Spark gaps are also used. These use the dialectric property of air and a specific spacing that sets. These devices actually arc or short out at some specific voltage.

Filters made from capacitors and inductors can remove RF (Radio Frequency) superimposed on a lower frequency like 60 Hz. The voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously. The current through an inductor cannot change instantaneously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The surge is working [ 24 Answers ]

Is this really coming from al-AP? First of all, after 4 years of daily detailing the carnage, the chaos, the 'conspiracies' and 'abuses', I'm floored that al-AP would say the surge "is working." But then again, there comes a point when critics must acknowledge even the most unwelcome facts,...

The Iraq Surge [ 11 Answers ]

I find it interesting that Harry Reid and company would make comments about how "the surge is a failure", that the military leadership is "incompetent" and that we should get out of Iraq, just as all this military progress is being made there. Comments from all comers are appreciated. Elliot

Florida: definition of "transient" in 83.42 [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in a condominium for almost two months now, with an additional month to go. (month-to-month rent) Landlord recently placed a "boot" on my door without proper notice. Question 1: Does the "transient" state in part (3) of Florida Statute 83.42 apply to myself? Definition of...

LH Surge, confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I did ovulation test and had 2 purple lines, great! The tested again next day and it faded, then the next day and it was gone. OK I know that's right, but what is weird is that after 7days I tested again out of sheer suriousity and I had 2 purple lines again. Then next day and day after if was...

View more questions Search