Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckylee16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Do I need to setup a home network?
    Hi, I have just purchased a wireless router for my son's desktop PC, he has direct access via ADSL to the internet. I am trying to link my laptop to his PC, so that we can both use the same internet connection.I have tried quite a few things like setting up a small home network but I still can't get online via my laptop, can anyone help please?:rolleyes:
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Did a Google search and think you may find what you're looking for

home networking with TCP/IP and Microsoft Windows

Practically Networked Troubleshooting Guides

The second site may be a little more techie!
    cdy34 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
    I downloaded program called "Network magic" it allowed me to easily share my connection. It also let me share a printer even though the printer was connected directly to one of the pc's. Another very handy feature is that I got daily reports via e-mail of the usage of my daughters laptop so I was able to monitor what websites she was visiting. A snip at around $30 bit there is a 30-day free trial which you can use, although the trial version doesn't give you the reports.
    danm261291 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylee16
    Hi, I have just purchased a wireless router for my son's desktop PC, he has direct access via ADSL to the internet. I am trying to link my laptop to his PC, so that we can both use the same internet connection.I have tried quite a few things like setting up a small home network but I still can't get online via my laptop, can anyone help please?:rolleyes:
    You don't need to set up a network between the two computers. Just set up the router for internet access, set up the wireless on the router, then using either an inbuilt adapter or a USB one connect to the router via wireless on you laptop. (Look at your routers manual for more information on how to do this). (You will most likely need an wired connection to the router for initial setup.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tv/dvd setup [ 2 Answers ]

My TV does not have the yellow/white /red plug only plug for cable how can I set up my dvd player without it

Wlan Setup [ 7 Answers ]

How To Set Up Wlan Setup? I Have Got A Laptop With Wlan Installed And A Desk Top With Whom I Want To Connect . Please Help

Thermostat setup [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new thermostat installed in December 2004 - the heating has worked all winter. Now the central air does not work. The fan also does not work (switch from auto to on doesn't do anything.) The thermostat is a Honeywell CT3200, configuration as follows: R - Red Rc - Orange W - White Y -...

Setup VB package [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. When I want to run setup.exe for my VB package into Windows 2000 professional this message appeared ; "Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK If you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows...

View more questions Search