Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denisa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Green card marriage
    Someone has asked my son to marry them to elp her stay in America. They do not love each other and she may pay him money to do so. Two friends of his has already done this to get ten thousand dollars. What are the consequences of this 'illegal' marriage?
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Someone has asked my son to marry them
    So your son is going to marry THEM! I don't think it's allowed in America to marry more than one person at one time! :D
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 08:41 PM
    I am sure that would be considered fraud. The INS ask a lot of questions. I know 2 people that have married people from foreign countries and it was not a walk in the park for either of them. That was before 9-11 so I am sure it is much harder now than it was then.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Aug 28, 2007, 12:47 AM
    Don't let him do it. You know it is wrong in legal and moral sense. How can he answer to his future children on what he did? ("I married for money before I married your mom.")
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 06:55 AM
    It looks worse on her than your son.
    Plus $10,000 , is that including the fee of all the immigration process?
    It costs over $1,000 just for the paper work and it takes several years for her to get her green card, during that several years, they must spend time together, your son can't get married with the one he really loves.
    I just don't see how he'd like to stay with someone he doesn't love for SEVERAL years!
    I hope he decides not too.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Review our Ask a Lawyer Q&A Archive on Lawyers.com

"The maximum penalty for knowingly entering into a fraudulent marriage is 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine."
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 02:47 PM
    First of all, nothing is "illegal" about such a marriage. But your son would be foolish to marry her under such circumstances. Any money he may get initially will be eaten up and more when he has to start paying alimony, etc. I'd wash my hands of this sort of thing, especially with all the controversy about illegal immigration. Your son does not want to be contributing to such a situation.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Marrying for a green card is a lifelong mistake. He could marry this woman, bring her to the United States, she could wait out her time for citizenship and then divorce him, taking him to the proverbial cleaners. There are posts on the help desk about men who have experienced this and worse.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/search...archid=1735264
    bharan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 02:43 AM
    But a great deal has changed in the past few years.. It is better if this inquiry occurs before the person leaves the United States. However, in this case, you should call the US Consulate in Montreal in order to get the estimate of how long this process may take.
    ========
    janne

New York Immigration Lawyer Marina Shepelsky, located in Brooklyn, assists clients from the New York metro area and across the United States in all immigration and naturalization matters
    http://www.e-us-visa.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 to Green Card [ 2 Answers ]

I'm studying my MBA with the F-1 Visa status in the US. Is it possible for a US established company to hire me changing my status to a permanent resident (green card)? I already finished another academic Masters of Arts in the US. I'm still working on my MBA. Thank you!

Green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My mom has a green card but she left usa last year . She is coming back in April . Q... you thing she is going to have a problem coming back?

View more questions Search