Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gepowers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Mortar vs caulk
    I have installed some thin brick in my basement. This is 1/2" thick brick veneer that is glued up on a metal panel. The manufacturer recommends that you use Type S mortar with application via a "bakers' bag". I've tried this and find it very cumbersome and to be honest my forearms are simply not strong enough. Is there a way to apply mortar or caulk via a hand tool (like a caulk gun) that would similate the look of a brick joint?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Yes. I've seen mortar-like stuff in a caulk tube that pretty much looks like normal mortar once applied and finished with a damp finger.

Check your local Lowes/Home Depot/Sears.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 27, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Depends on what you think mortar is supposed to look like, lol, no it doesn't look like mortar and it want hold the brick together like mortar either.
    You may try some tile mortar, thinset, you don't have to have sand and all that, just add water is all. Mix it a little thick and try that,

Masonary isn't easy, though to watch one do it, it may look that way

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To caulk or not to caulk; cedar shake [ 7 Answers ]

I will be painting my house this summer which is painted cedar shakes. A previous owner calked cracks and also the spaces between the shakes. I have removed some of this caulk and paint as it is failing. Should I re-caulk the spaces between the shakes?

Brick mortar [ 3 Answers ]

Had brick work done. Could not be there at the time. The mortar used is darker than the rest of the mortar on the house, which is white Question is, how can I lighten the darker mortar. Thanks Bill

Exterior - caulk instead of mortar? [ 1 Answers ]

In some modern commercial construction, I've seen something that looks like caulk instead of mortar at some large joints. I need to replace the mortar on my front porch bluestone steps and was interested in trying this instead of traditional mortar. Does anyone know what this material is?

View more questions Search