Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Char Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 09:55 AM
    How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing
    I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2005, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Char
    I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accomodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?
    I can shown you how to pipe for a washers discharge but first I have to know how high the trap is off the floor. In the mean time I answered the same question a few posts ago look down and open up the thread "SLOP SINK" and check out the attachment. The pipes should be 2" in diameter. Regards, Tom

Sep 1, 2005, 11:35 AM
    How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing
    The trap is rather high up - approx. 3 ft.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2005, 12:15 PM
    The trap is rather high up - approx. 3 ft.
    Sorry Charlie.
    The trap needs to have at least a 2" pipe 36" high for a stand pipe. This would put the stand pipe twice as high as your washers flood rim. IIn case you missed it I made a freehand drawing of what the layout should be. The trap needs to be near the floor. What you can do is open up the wall and cut in a sanitary tee close to the floor line and go from there. Regards Tom

Sep 1, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Thanks Tom.

Just a few more silly questions, if you don't mind. (I'm a total novice at this).

The "vent pipe" is considerably larger than 2 inches (approx. 4" diameter) and made of PVC. Am I referring to the right pipe? Would it be okay to use it? Is is the same pipe that drains the water from the upper floors?

Are you suggesting I forget about using the slop sink and focus on the vent pipe?

Wouldn't it be easier to cut the slop sink pipe, move the p trap down, then install the stand pipe?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2005, 01:17 PM
    Thanks Tom.

Just a few more silly questions, if you don't mind. (I'm a total novice at this).

The "vent pipe" is considerably larger than 2 inches (approx. 4" diameter) and made of PVC. Am I referring to the right pipe? Would it be okay to use it? Is is the same pipe that drains the water from the upper floors?

Are you suggesting I forget about using the slop sink and focus on the vent pipe?

Wouldn't it be easier to cut the slop sink pipe, move the p trap down, then install the stand pipe?
    What you describe isn't the vent, it's the 4" soil stack. So we're on the same page as a rule any pipe below a trap is the drain and anything above the trap is the vent. I was referring to the slop sink pipe when I said to cut in a sanitary tee next to the floor and go from there,(see attachment). Or what you can do is cut the old tee and trap out and lower it to the floor. The piece you cut out can go back on top of the tee and connect the top of the tee back into the vent pipe. Depending on what material your pipes are you can use No-Hub Bands and couplings. Good luck. Tom

Sep 1, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Thanks again Tom.

Your advice was very helpful. You've solved a major problem for me. Much appreciated. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

X-Men The Last Stand [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the song that is playing on the commercial while the newest X-Men Game is being advertised. Thanks, Josh

Plumbing: old drain pipe, supply lines, curb [ 3 Answers ]

I've completed the demolition of my old shower, but am puzzled now. I am on a slap foundation. My drain pipe is not centered, and it rises about 2 inches off the slab. It does not appear to have weep holes, and I cannot remove it. Is it necessary to have the weep holes, and does it need to be...

Washer stand pipe occasionally overflows [ 1 Answers ]

There doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to this happening except that it seems to occur when we either run a very large load or if we happen to run a small load of laundry but still had the water level set for high or extra-high. However, it doesn't overflow every time this situation...

Install bathroom plumbing undisturbed subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting an upstairs bedroom into a bathroom. There is an existing hardwood floor which I'd like to keep for the bathroom. Can I install the drains for the toilet and tub from under the bathroom floor without tearing up any of the hardwood floor and just cutting the floor at the drain...

Cast stand pipe [ 4 Answers ]

Tom, how you doing? Hope you had a great newyears. Now for my question. My main stand pipe that I will have to tie into is 4 in. cast. The present drainage comes off the cast at what looks like a 4 in. sanitary T. My present drain that ties into the cast is run out of 3 in. copper. Is it possible...

View more questions Search