Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elle92 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    In proper society, "Miss" is an honorific for female children. "Ma'am" is the honorific for female adults, as is the French derivative "Madame."

If you wish to be a girl, insist on "Miss."
    If you consider yourself a woman, "Ma'am."
    If you wish to be alone, insist on "Miz."
    If you wish to be alone insist on Miz? LOL. You must be some anti-feminist lady. That's funny. Yes, I know what the honorifics are SUPPOSED to mean. The problem is they're aren't being used that way. Women who look "young" and/or sexy are frequently called Miss, while everyone else is a ma'am. I am a woman and I insist on being called Miz because it doesn't imply anything about how old I am or whether I "belong" to a man.

And by the way, I am not alone. I am engaged to be married.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 02:04 AM
    Tradtionally, you may be called Miss until you are married. Unmarried girls are only supposed to be addressed as "Ma'am" by children younger than themselves, which is where the age stigma dreives.

I am saddened by the lack of manners the "youth culture" exhorts in its attempts to demand respect for superficialities.
    elle92 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Tradtionally, you may be called Miss until you are married. Unmarried girls are only supposed to be addressed as "Ma'am" by children younger than themselves, which is where the age stigma dreives.

I am saddened by the lack of manners the "youth culture" exhorts in its attempts to demand respect for superficialities.
    I have no problem with children calling me ma'am, and it's interesting to know that they are correct in doing so.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Was it Mark Twain that said that the day is wasted when you don't learn something new?
    I'm gratified I could contribute to your day, Miss/Miz.
    karmalucas Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 01:13 PM

I get offended when people do not use ma'am or sir. It's good manners, period.

I'm 31 and it doesn't matter if I'm speaking to someone older, younger, or someone I've never met, it's always ma'am or sir.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 10:56 AM

I consider it a sign of respect. I say, "Yes, Sir, no, Sir" all the time.

No, I don't want to be called madam - or, even worse, The Madam.
    holyangel17 Posts: 34, Reputation: 0

Sep 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

I am 22 but I work part time at a pharmacy as a technician and people who are older than me calls me "ma'm." I do not hate it but I feel bad that they call me that. 1.) Because I am only 22 and look 16 (lol... ) (2.) I am not sure what to call them because I do not want to refer back to them with "ma'm." In my culture, we call our elders "uncle and aunty" even if they are not related to us. Do you think that is worse, to be called uncle and aunty by strangers?
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 02:54 PM

Yes, think being called uncle and aunty, family nicknames, by strangers is worse than being called "Ma'am," a title of respect.

If you work in a Pharmacy as a tech I'm surprised you haven't been directed to address people as Sir and Ma'am.

I am somewhat confused that you have "... decades [of] experience dealing with people that have BPD and NPD, so I do speak with some understanding - although I am still learning" (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...ml#post2005718) when you are 22 years old - ?
    holyangel17 Posts: 34, Reputation: 0

Sep 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, think being called uncle and aunty, family nicknames, by strangers is worse than being called "Ma'am," a title of respect.

If you work in a Pharmacy as a tech I'm surprised you haven't been directed to address people as Sir and Ma'am.

I am somewhat confused that you have "... decades [of] experience dealing with people that have BPD and NPD, so I do speak with some understanding - although I am still learning" (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...ml#post2005718) when you are 22 years old - ?
    Again, stop assuming things about me! I never said, I did not call them ma'm and sir! I just said, I feel bad when elderly people call me that because I'm so... young! I just feel awkward. Of course, I respect and value my elders! Seriously, you really do not know me and you are basically jumping into conclusions for any statement I make.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by holyangel17 View Post
    Again, stop assuming things about me! I never said, I did not call them ma'm and sir! I just said, I feel bad when elderly people call me that because I'm so....young! I just feel awkward. Ofcourse, I respect and value my elders! Seriously, you really do not know me and you are basically jumping into conclusions for any statement I make.

And you can stop typing in bold and in caps - first, you have nothing that important to say. Second, I base what I say on what you have posted. Of course, that's hard to verify when some of your posts have been removed due to content.

You seem to have difficulty remembering what you have said - You said: "I am not sure what to call them because I do not want to refer back to them with "ma'm."

I also would like to know about your age - 22 - and your "decades" of experience.

As someone else has said - I predict that your lifetime on AMHD is going to be very short.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ma'am should be banned [ 28 Answers ]

Obviously no body likes to be called ma'am then why people using it? Women especially like to call other women with this ma'am thing just to piss you off. I think it should be considered offensive, banned and agist, I know some will say it is just respect term but no I do not think so because...

Should he have called? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been out of the dating relm for awhile since I've recently got out of a long term relationship. I'm in my mid twenties and I've started dating this new guy. We've only been out 4 times, but each time has gone great with the last date being an overnight date, that I...

I called him [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I broke up about a month ago- I've called him 5 times since then- once after I received a missed call from him which actually was him accidentally dialing me from his pocket- I was really upset as this was just after an exam also which I had a really hard time studying for because of the...

What was it called ? [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please... Cartoon... I remember a cartoon from 70s/80s which had a group of people including an old man with a long white beard - and each programme was a light-educational look at an historical-era. I think the theme tune was Handel's Messiah, and it used to be on ITV in the mornings....

He hasn't called me [ 7 Answers ]

I am a little confused right now, I have been talking to a guy for a month now mostly over the phone, we had only seen each other once. We were trying to get to know each other and decided to go on a date last Saturday. I believe that the date went really well, his compliments were endless and we...

View more questions Search