how many years of college would it take to become an actress
    How many years would it take to become an actess
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrineka griffin
    how many years of college would it take to become an actress
    Zero to 4

Example, Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin have no college.

While the drama program of a college will help train you for a career in entertainment, I doubt if any casting director looks for a college degree. They look for talent and experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Hello ter:

College is NOT required to be an actress.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Heck, talent is not required to be an actress, witness Anna Nicole Smith. :D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Depending on the college, you might be able to get a degree in theater arts within a two to four year program.

If a woman aspires to be the kind of actress other than those who are perceived as being untalented, then going to an accredited institution, such as a college or university that trains aspiring actors and actresses can be really helpful in getting you into that kind of career. Going to college or university to learn how to be an actress is going to give you a lot of experience acting since having a major in that would mean that acting would be your main concentration.

How much talent one has can be developed. We can all sing, dance, act and draw. We're just not all born with a Stradivarius for an instrument. How talented one is perceived to be is most of the time, the result of how much hard work someone is going to put forth in order to excel at the skill for which they are striving.

Casting directors do look for people who have put forth the effort to get the education and experience they need in order to go into the acting profession. Many important contacts can be made when going to school in order to learn the art. Frequently, teachers in theater departments will know important people in the profession who can be helpful in giving someone their first big "break" into the industry.

Becoming an actress out in the workforce is really tough. There is an incredible amount of competition. Frequently, you will start by doing "bit parts" (non-leads) and then work your way up to some kind of lead, if you have characteristics such as your acting personality, looks (tall, short, thin, fat, beauty or lack thereof), and any other skills that are needed to play the part. You can act in plays and musicals in college. Become a part of a community theater scene. Some places have dinner theaters where you could get a lot of experience. Frequently, dinner theaters look for "locals" for some or all of the parts in the productions in order to help to bring in the customers for the shows.

If you want to become an actress, then go for it. Having schooling for it does help. If you persevere, then you can go somewhere with your desire.

I have been involved in over forty musical theater productions as an actor on stage, or as a musician with the orchestra. These have been for professional as well as community theater productions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie title, actor and actress [ 2 Answers ]

I remember watching this movie on TV. It was about a couple who rented this house on a lake or island, and the only way you can get there was by boat. His wife had recently died and he rented the house to get away from it all. The women rented the same house but didn't know he rented it and was...

Best actor/actress [ 25 Answers ]

Who is your opinion is the best actor/actress.:)

Name of a brunette '80s TV actress? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a TV actress from the early 80's (maybe late 70's.) She looked a lot like Vanity- a tall brunette with brown-eyes and a deep voice. She may have been bi-racial. I can't remember exactly what she was in, but she was of the Angie Everhart, Tanya Roberts set; considered...

Name of actress? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to complete a trivia contest in a newspaper. I have all but one question answered: "On screen, this New Jersey-raised actress bonded with Bond, wed Fred and kicked up her heels with Kelly. Name her." Thank you very much in advance for any help that anyone can give! Bill

Historical British Movie Actress [ 3 Answers ]

What ever happened to British actress Cecile Aubrey who starred in "The Black Rose". I have always wondered as I must admit that I had a crush on her when I was young.?

View more questions Search