Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bethsmum Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Femur break in 7mth old in babywalker
    Hi , my friend is going through hell at the moment and we are trying to find out how this damage came about we know what we think happened but the authorities is claiming abuse and have taken her daughter, the question is could this happen please read the storey.

My friend was in the kitchen popping into the lounge to check on the girls j 3 yrs old and b 7 months old, she found the 3 yrs old pushing the baby in the baby walker round the lounge and told her to stop she went back to the kitchen and went back to the longe when the baby gave a loud cry, put away the walker and calmed the baby and put her into her bouncy chair after changing her and putting on a baby bedtime outfit one with the legs and feet in. the baby was wingy but only cried if the leg was moved , the baby went to sleep so she did not want to disturb her and decided to go to the docs in the morning to have leg checked,
    We feel that the 3yr old must have trapped the leg and kept pushing till it gave as 3 yr olds tend to do with everything and putting on the sleeper suit restricted the movement of the leg and so the baby was not in pain or as much pain. Social services have pronounced she has been abused poss by the father whom was babysitting that evening while my friend went to work, there is no bruising or other breaks on the baby and the only new thing in the inviroment was the walker. I went round the next day to get the 3yr old while mum went to the doctors but told her to go to a&e as I had a feeling it was a break, and the mother did and now she faces losing her daughter and is distraught she even collapsed at the meeting that decided she should not have her back,
    My friend has fought hard to be a good mum as it did not come naturally to her and has sought all the help she could to help her there is noway this person has harmed her child ever she won't even smack/tap the 3yr old and trust me the older child was a nightmare baby this baby is a happy smiling and easy baby compared to the older one.

Please please help could this of been what happened?:confused:
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 07:10 AM
    It seems plausible. There have been warning for years that baby walkers are not safe.

I can't imagine the child having a broken femur and not crying non-stop though. A broken bone is going to hurt whether it is moved or not.

I am surprised that the baby was taken away. Is there history of problems with social services prior to this event?

Aug 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
    No problems at all , no contact with social services and her health visitor was as shocked as us and crying openly , the doctors surgery and health visitors all gave faverable records on her parenting skills and that if she has thought to need help she has asked for it and that the 3yr old had behaveoral problems which they helped her address, she is no teen mum we both had our kids in our 30s.

She did not want the walker in her mind but it was given by grandma so she thought she would give it a go , it is only since we have been searching the net for other such stories that we have seen how dangerous it is and is even banned in some countries, believe she wishes she had stuck to her gunns and never used it, she didn't with her eldest, but you don't like to upset your mum do you?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I find it easy to believe that the 3 year old could have inadvertently broken the baby's leg, especially if it got caught in a bind. Is social services saying the baby wasn't properly supervised?

Aug 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
    No they are saying the father did it while the mother was at work but he never touched her apart from to change nappy, it was then that he nothiced and rang her to ask if she noticed the leg, as he does not live with them as they are not there in the relationship (baby result of condom breaking ) but honest he would cry if he hurt a fly and has offered to split with mum if it means she will get baby back yet they say this is not enough, they are currantly going to court next week to get a court order to keep the baby , my friend is requesting the baby go to her mother, we want her to come home , if this is how they would be if it ever happened to my daughter (3) id run.
    bizEmom07 Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    It seems plausible. There have been warning for years that baby walkers are not safe.

I can't imagine the child having a broken femur and not crying non-stop though. A broken bone is going to hurt whether it is moved or not.

I am surprised that the baby was taken away. Is there history of problems with social services prior to this event?

That is a tough situation, and I really hope everything works out for your friend.

Although a bone may be broken, it doesn't necessarily mean they would cry non-stop. As a child, I had 5 or 6 broken bones (arms/elbows/collarbone) starting at the age of 2. After the initial cry, it was more like an ache. It hurt, but not crying hurt. (just fyi... I wasn't abused... I took medication for my kidneys and it made my bones very fragile... and I was extremely clumsy)

When my daughter was learning to walk, she was walking around her play pen and she would dangle from the side with one arm... she thought it was funny. She ended up pulling her arm out of socket. I was questioned at that time, also, so I sympathize with your friend.

Best to all of you!

Aug 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Thanks to you both , today is the day when they decide where my friends daughter goes though they have ket her keep the 3yr old. Baby may end up in care or with the grandmother but we are all hoping she can go home with her mum even if till the court case the dad can't visit, they have said they will do webcam so he can see his daughter it is so heartbreaking.
    hammieslove Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2007, 12:00 AM
    If there is no bruises or any other signs of abuse then the baby probably did it herself. It isn't right that she got taken from you. I was abused by family once broke a femur but there were also signs of rough housing. Ask the older one she probably knows more. Its really not the doctors business or word that your husband is an abuser because they don't know what happened that night. GOOD LUCK
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
    It seems a little hard to understand that the child services took such drastic action this time while SO MANY OTHER children are abused for AGES -I'm sorry I think that there may be more to the story than what is known by you. However I REALLY hope that the child is safe and properly supervised in the future AT ALL TIMES!
    Wolf21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 04:28 PM
    The same thing is happening to my sister but the baby is only a month old her femur bone broke and they are accusing her and her boyfriend of abuse and everyone knows they would never hurt the kids there was no bruise around the break or anything

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we break up [ 14 Answers ]

I've been dating my girlfriend for a year , she is still married and always tryies to avoid the topic of divorce. She says that its hard for her and she will deal with it when she's ready. I told her that if I wanted to get married one day I couldn't marry her. That makes me sad,she says mean...

Break up [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just broke up with me. He claimed I was the love of his life, his soulmate. He had plans to take me on a cruise and out west. I told him his anger was an issue and I couldn't live like this, not being able to feel I can approach with a concern , because he would last out with...

She wants a break now what [ 40 Answers ]

I had a great evening last Tuesday. We talked and talked. We had great conversation and we both felt connected. Great evening. Once the evening was over she invited me over for dinner at her place the next day. The next day we exchanged emails. Everything was great. I was very busy at work and felt...

She wants a break [ 19 Answers ]

Ok so, I've read a few "taking a break" threads and things seem to come to the same consensus of "just give her her space." The thing is, each case is different obviously. My case is: I'm 20, she's 18. We've been going out for 1 month (short time, I know, but it feels like a lifetime). I met...

Can 7mth labpup play with 7wk lab pup safely [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 Month Lab pup who weighs 80lbs and we just got a 7 week pup for him to play with. He plays well with her but gets a little rough. Is it OK to let them play or can he really hurt her?

View more questions Search