Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NChandler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 03:36 PM
    Runt, sick (wild) kitten question
    I have brought home a wild kitten about 5 weeks of age that has an eye infection and an abscess. The kitten is on antibotics starting today, but was only removed from the mother as of last night (it is eating gruel well at 3 hour intervals) but has not pooped. I have foster kittens, mainly for socialization, before and all have pooped in the litter box with no problem. Here's a stupid question... do kittens start to poop once regular food is introduced only? Do they not poop while only feeding off mom? I am trying the stimulation... kitten is peeing in litter box no problem with just placing her in there... How long should it take for me to get really concerned?

Thanks for your help :)
    cici385 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2005, 09:54 AM
    I hope that this post finds you in time - as you posted at the end of August.
    We've recently adopted an orphaned kitten, so I feel your sense of urgency and confusion.

Our little one did not do number 2 every day, but we made sure he was properly hydrated and upon the 2nd day or so we'd dilute the gruel/formula with a little water for one feeding and he went pretty much like clockwork after that.

My question to you is, is your kitty doing #1 on it's own, or are you having to stimulate her still. Also, have you attempted the litter box. At about 4 weeks our little guy took right to the litter box and needed no stimulation. Just some food for thought, but I'd dilute the gruel a little, but watch for diharea.
    Good Luck!!

CiCi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick kitten 1 week old [ 3 Answers ]

I have a litter of kittens that are 1 week old. The mothers first kitten, born is half the size , eyes not opening and is the only one not nursing. It has no strength and just lays on her side crying. We have been feeding this kitten and it is reluctantly get some formula.. I now believe this...

Kitten Question [ 3 Answers ]

What is the earliest you can give a kitten away to their new family?

Question regarding a kitten [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1yr old kitten who has been throwing up a lot lately.(sp?? ) We have not yet switched from kitten to cat food And have not swithched brands We give him cat treats but not that often. We try 2 make sure there is no strings or anything that he could choke on. Not to be gross but...

Wild Animal question [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently told that wild animals go through the same diseases as humans. I was under the impression that domesticated animals are more likely to carry some of the diseases because they are taken away from that natural lifestyles. Which one is correct?

Does it matter if my kitten is the runt? [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a kitten, who seems a little smaller than his brothers - does this matter?

View more questions Search