Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cFoss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 12:08 PM
    Al service conductors... Special Procedures?
    Hi all. I hope you can point me in the right direction.

I have seen two references in books to special procedures with Al service conductors. I'm installing 4/0 AL for a 200A service.

I understand you have to retourque the terminations a day after installing, and that it's good to use an antioxidant fluid/paste for the terminations... any other stuff... bend radius etc. I should be concerned with.

I figure for half the price I can stand to learn a great deal!

Thanks,

Chay
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 01:46 PM
    I have attached a couple of helpful documents from one of the most popular aluminum cable manufacturers, Alcan. Review both, and you will learn the proper methods of connecting aluminum cable. Try to obtain this info from the manufacturer of the cable you have or plan to purchase, and follow accordingly. There will probably not be many differences.

The code requires that the manufacturer's instructions be followed ,and that all makers of AL cable will require the joint compound be used.

Also listed are the applicable bending radius for the different types of cable.

The strategy of re-torqueing is from the days before the awareness and requirements of torqueing a connector to the recommended values. Aluminum is soft that you could go the next day and get a few more turns on the screw. However, over torqueing is as bad as an under torqued connection.

There should be torque values on the equipment you are installing, if not, the booklet I have attached will have some general values that can be used as a guide.

http://www.cable.alcan.com/AlcanCabl...20Guide%20.pdf
    cFoss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 02:03 PM
    Thanks for the info. Nice to have a bit of confidence in these things. I'm an electrical/electronics tech working for the local utility, but this residential stuff is new to me.

Thanks again,

Chay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures for US collections [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone let me know if a US collection agency must follow Ontario Canada procedures if trying to collect from a Canadian citizen living in Ontario?

Special requests [ 17 Answers ]

OK I know that you all don't know me-but I am in desperation right now. I've been going through some really tough times in my life and believe it or not, I feel like God is angry with me... maybe for making some bad decisions, I don't know. But every decision I make is for nothing but the best of...

Special Ed Dating [ 10 Answers ]

Ok maybe Im being judgemental? Maybe you all can tell me your opinions on a Special Education or Mentally Challenged (Female) dating a Perfectly Healthy (Male) who has been known to use girls for sex? Not saying he will just has a reputation of it. I do not know him personally but my friend...

Diamonds as electrical conductors [ 2 Answers ]

Will a diamond conduct electricity and, if so, how good a conductor is it?

Postoperative procedures [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like an odd question, but-- When something is removed during surgery-- an appendix, lanryx, tissue, tumors, gallstones-- what specifically do they do with it? Feed it to the dog? Are there different means of disposal for different stuff? Is there some special container...

View more questions Search