Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celiner Posts: 66, Reputation: 5

Aug 26, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Removing grass?
    I am replacing my small patch of lawn with some loose stones. I know I have to lay some special black covering to stop the weeds and grass growing through the stones. Do I need to remove the grass and break up the soil or can I lay this sheeting directly onto the existing grass?

I am always looking for the easy way out!!

Many thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Get out and get some exercise. You might wish to use some ground clear before or after.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
    If you wish to take the easy out way, I would suggest cutting the grass really low, then use roundup, then lay down the weed blocker and then the rock.
    bjoates Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Please post what happens, I am planning on doing the very same thing:)

Sep 2, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Thank you all for your replies. I suffer from arthritis and a lot of the time the easy way is the only way. I think I will do the following,

Cut grass really tight.
    With the spade at an angle, scrape and remove the top 2 inches of grass and soil.
    Lay the membrane.
    Lay the stones.

The patch of lawn I have to work on is already very level and rubble free.

Hopefully will get this done in the next 2 - 3 weeks. (If it stops raining! - can't work in the rain if you have arthritis).
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Just send the excessive rain to TN we will GLADLY take it here.

Sep 4, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Well, in the good old emerald isle (Ireland) it is always raining. We had 50 days of nonstop rain during June and July. We had a lot in August and Sept seems to be going the same way. The first spell of dry weather we get, I will get out there and finish the garden off once and for all. Then I am off to my holiday home in Spain. I need to remind myself that there is a sun behind the clouds.

Enjoy your sunshine and heat.
    Bellagrace19 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by celiner
    I am replacing my small patch of lawn with some loose stones. I know I have to lay some special black covering to stop the weeds and grass growing through the stones. Do I need to remove the grass and break up the soil or can I lay this sheeting directly onto the existing grass?

I am always looking for the easy way out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks
    Hi...
    Im Virginia, and I work at a Nursery/Landscaping business...
    The Most proficent way to do this, is that we found if you use a sod cutter, or shovel up the grass with a flat shovel about 2 1/2 inches to 3 deep, and get the grass and the roots, then spray with a roundup, then place your black cloth down, that will work a lot better, and last a lot longer in the end...
    If you just lay the black cloth down, that just seems to heat things up and allow the weeds to grow healthier and thicker...
    I hope this helps...

Sep 5, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Thank you. I will try to do as you say (except for the round up).

Thanks again everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

Grass looks like straw [ 2 Answers ]

My grass has large patches of dried, dead-looking, straw-like growth. I read this may be fungus?? Or is this a type of grass which grows locally (Pitman, south NJ). Please e-mail to [email protected] if anyone has ideas!

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Removing blue grass (Poa annua) from lawn [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am working in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, and I am currently looking more than 100000sq meter lawn (Bermuda grass: Cynodon dactylon). My problem is the weed, Poa annua commonly called blue grass. Can any one suggest me for some specific week killer which kill only the weeds not the...

Type of grass [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure the type of grass in our yard. I live on the eastern shore of Maryland, and I am trying to figure out what type of grass we currently have. I live in zip code 21811 if this will help

View more questions Search