Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Aug 31, 2005, 12:00 PM
    The Strength of Samson
    Hello Everyone,
    Samson lost his power when his hair was cut, why?
    Take care,
    Hope12 :o
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2005, 09:11 PM
    Samson' hair
    Samson was an Essenie.
    They did not cut their hair or drink wine or do several other things.
    He was told that his power was in his hair.
    He believed it.
    When it was cut he believed he lost his power.
    When it grew back he believed his power returned and obviously, according to Holy Scripture, it did.

:)
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 10, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Samson's strength and his hair
    Samson was a Nazirite or Nazarite.

At least from the days of Moses, both men and women in Israel were privileged to take vows setting themselves apart to serve the Lord in some special way for an appointed period. Such persons, while subject to their vows, were called Nazarites.

Frequently the period of penance and pondering and worship and devotion was for thirty days. In the case of Samson it was for life, and John the Baptist is considered by some to have had the same lifetime obligation.

As set out in Numbers 6:1-21, those so separating themselves unto the Lord, for whatever period was involved, must abstain from wine and strong drink and the eating of grapes or anything coming from the vine tree. They must let their hair grow and avoid any Levitical uncleanness.

At the end of their period of separation, they shaved their heads and offered burnt offerings, sin offerings peace offerings and meat and drink offerings, with all their attendant formalities.

Even Paul, as a temporizing gesture to the partially converted Jewish-Christians in Jerusalem—and after the law of Moses, including the law of sacrifice and the law of the Nazarite, had been done away—participated in these vows and the offerings made incident thereto. (Acts 21:23-26.)

The sole instance of a Nazarite for life named in the scriptures of which we are certain is that of Samson, whose mother was required to put herself under Nazarite observances prior to his birth, and the child was to be a Nazarite to God from his birth (Judg. 13:3-7, 14).

The loss of his strength after his shearing is accounted for thusly:

Judges 16:6
    6 And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength [lieth], and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.

Judges 16:7
    7 And Samson said unto her, If they bind me with seven green withs that were never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.

Judges 16:8
    8 Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven green withs which had not been dried, and she bound him with them.

Judges 16:9
    9 Now [there were] men lying in wait, abiding with her in the chamber. And she said unto him, The Philistines [be] upon thee, Samson. And he brake the withs, as a thread of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire. So his strength was not known.

Judges 16:10
    10 And Delilah said unto Samson, Behold, thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith thou mightest be bound.

Judges 16:11
    11 And he said unto her, If they bind me fast with new ropes that never were occupied, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.

Judges 16:12
    12 Delilah therefore took new ropes, and bound him therewith, and said unto him, The Philistines [be] upon thee, Samson. And [there were] liers in wait abiding in the chamber. And he brake them from off his arms like a thread.

Judges 16:13
    13 And Delilah said unto Samson, Hitherto thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web.

Judges 16:14
    14 And she fastened [it] with the pin, and said unto him, The Philistines [be] upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web.

Judges 16:15
    15 And she said unto him, How canst thou say, I love thee, when thine heart [is] not with me? Thou hast mocked me these three times, and hast not told me wherein thy great strength [lieth].

Judges 16:16
    16 And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, [so] that his soul was vexed unto death;

Judges 16:17
    17 That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I [have been] a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any [other] man.

Judges 16:18
    18 ¶ And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up this once, for he hath shewed me all his heart. Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought money in their hand.

Judges 16:19
    19 And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him.

Judges 16:20
    20 And she said, The Philistines [be] upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.

MORGANITE

:)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2005, 10:09 PM
    Morganite
    Good post.
    Thanks,
    Fred (arcura) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Strength training [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, can anyone help? I just got some free weights, and I need to come up with a workout regime that I can do at home. I don't have a bench, and everything I keep finding at the store includes excercises requiring a bench, so I have to leave out most of the workout, I am so frustrated! Can...

View more questions Search