When you lease a horse from an ad
    Can you take it to your local farm where they have boarding
    And care for it there??
    :confused:
    What is the average monthly cost ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Ok, I don't know the front from a rear of a horse but some follow up for others ** and to put this back on top of the questions.

Where are you at, a lot of prices different from the US to India to Canada, to England and so on. And if in the US what part of the county, New York City will be a lot different from small town New Mexico.

I would advise talking to the place you are taking lessons and contact a couple of local stables and get several opinoins.
    Also I would read the lease carefully and if this is a large sum, have it reviewed by an attorney even.

Next what type of horse,
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
    It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question with all the possible unknown variables. You can probably find out the answer by talking with your parents, they will be funding it after all.

However what I wanted to say was please don't take on the responsibility of a horse without first knowing what you are doing. They are difficult and time consuming creatures to take care of.

Perhaps joining a pony club would be a better idea as you are taught how to care for a pony, more riding skills and there will be people around who are experienced and can catch it when you accidentally take off it's bridle in the middle of a field without putting the headcollar on first (true story).

Pony clubs are also good as you can board or just travel there every day. You can make lots of friends and take animal husbandry exams.

Would you want to put your horse through unnecessary suffering if you were just not experienced to notice it had ill fitting tack or some other disease? Also moving a horse away from it's friends to unfamiliar surroundings for a couple of months is a bit cruel as well.

You should think carefully before you do this. It's not like renting a car.

Almost forgot to mention, perhaps you could start working at the stables which you ride with at the weekends. I used to do this and it taught me a lot. It gives you a good taster of what looking after a horse actually involves.

Sometimes that is standing on top of a pile of manure in the freezing wind and rain after being running after a little watsit of a pony for the last two hours. You are tired, dirty and smelly beyond belief. Your hands will be sore from lugging bales of hay by twine and you think you might have broken your foot when the 18 hand monster stood on it and wouldn't get off. You stand the chance of being bitten, kicked and crushed against walls.

That being said some of the best fun I've ever had. But make sure you go into this with your eyes open. Horses need routine and you can't decide to have a lie in one day.

I am mostly just playing devil's advocate here, so if you have seriously thought about it, go for it they are wonderful animals. Good luck :)

here is a nice site
    How to Lease a Horse
    heather94loveshorses Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Okay well I live in grand island, New York it's a pretty rural area
    And probably a
    Quarter horse or
    A thoroughbred
    And yeah that's prettty good advice
    Thank u!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok, I don't know the front from a rear of a horse but some follow up for others ** and to put this back on top of the questions.

Where are you at, alot of prices different from the US to India to Canada, to England and so on. And if in the US what part of the county, New York City will be alot different from small town New Mexico.

I would advise talking to the place you are taking lessons and contact a couple of local stables and get several opinoins.
    Also I would read the lease carefully and if this is a large sum, have it reviewed by an attorney even.

Next what type of horse,

Aug 26, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Oh yeah I have 2 of these ! So I go on heatherloveshorse94 more
    But I'm the same person

Aug 26, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Yeah that's really good advice
    I have a lot of options
    And I think I am going to volunteer at the farm on the weekends
    So I have till next summer to think about what I'm going to do !
    Thank you so much!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question with all the possible unknown variables. You can probably find out the answer by talking with your parents, they will be funding it after all.

However what I wanted to say was please don't take on the responsibility of a horse without first knowing what you are doing. They are difficult and time consuming creatures to take care of.

Perhaps joining a pony club would be a better idea as you are taught how to care for a pony, more riding skills and there will be people around who are experienced and can catch it when you accidentally take off it's bridle in the middle of a field without putting the headcollar on first (true story).

Pony clubs are also good as you can board or just travel there every day. You can make lots of friends and take animal husbandry exams.

Would you want to put your horse through unnecessary suffering if you were just not experienced to notice it had ill fitting tack or some other disease? Also moving a horse away from it's friends to unfamiliar surroundings for a couple of months is a bit cruel as well.

You should think carefully before you do this. It's not like renting a car.

Almost forgot to mention, perhaps you could start working at the stables which you ride with at the weekends. I used to do this and it taught me a lot. It gives you a good taster of what looking after a horse actually involves.

Sometimes that is standing on top of a pile of manure in the freezing wind and rain after being running after a little watsit of a pony for the last two hours. You are tired, dirty and smelly beyond belief. Your hands will be sore from lugging bales of hay by twine and you think you might have broken your foot when the 18 hand monster stood on it and wouldn't get off. You stand the chance of being bitten, kicked and crushed against walls.

That being said some of the best fun I've ever had. But make sure you go into this with your eyes open. Horses need routine and you can't decide to have a lie in one day.

I am mostly just playing devil's advocate here, so if you have seriously thought about it, go for it they are wonderful animals. Good luck :)

here is a nice site
    How to Lease a Horse
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 12:15 AM
    That's really cool, I bet you'll love it. :)

When I worked at the stables I got a project horse, which was a bit like leasing but without having to pay anything. It was so the school ponies got extra attention. You never know. Or somebody might let you look after their horse when they are on holiday. Defintely a good move.

Have fun

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In our house leasing contract, my name is not listed as one of the occupants. The lease is in my Wife's name. Do I need to add my name or am I included in the contract because I am the spouse? We live in a rented house in Ventura county CA. Thanks

Leasing land in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I own a mobile home in a trailer park... since I do not own the land... I pay a lease fee monthly... each year the owners can increase this amt (this year by 2.6% in Ontario) My question... I'm selling mobile home... Purchaser wants to know if she will be paying that same amount or can the owners...

Leasing cottage in Alaska [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Alaska and recently engaged in a 8-month lease. The dwelling is a cottage that is rented on a nightly rental at 220.00 through the summer then starting in late Sept. becomes a winter rental at 750.00 a month all utilities included. When speaking to the land owner he said that the unit...

Leasing in Virginia [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this forum so help me out here! I live in Virginia and signed a 1 year lease in March. I have been dating somebody and have decided to move in with him. I haven't had a chance to research my lease yet, but do recall when I signed it that I would only be responsible for 3 months or...

Auto leasing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year lease on a 2005 VW Bug, which began in March, 2005. I am allowed 10,000 miles per year on the lease. Vehicle has 10,800 miles currently. I want to get out of the lease now, as I do not need 3 vehicles any more. Short of trading the vehicle in on another one, how do I get out of...

View more questions Search