Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Did Jesus really exist or is it just a belief?
    Did he really live on Earth or is it just beliefs like everything in Christinaity including the Bible. :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
    I don't think the bible is just a belief... I've held one before, they're real.

I have no trouble believing that jesus existed, I just have trouble believing that he's the son of god and he could perform miracles and all that.

You might want to look at Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 07:45 PM
    First there is a lot of things in the bible that is not just "beleif" the Old testement is a lot of history of the Hewbrew nation.

But even the Quarn ( not the bible) shows him as a real person, heck they even state that he was born of a virgin and these are about as non christian as you can get.

There are other non bibical writings that relate to him.

The only real issue would be if he was reall born of a virgin, and that he was the son of God, That is the belief part, really the fact of him being a real person is not a real issue.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
    He may have been a real person but I don't believe in a lot of things you may have heard. I don't believe in god because I don't see how he or any of this life is possible. How it could have started in the beginging. Or where god came from
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Of course he is God's Son, and the Savior of the world, but that is faith and belief.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
    I think that the majority of the religions in our world believe that Jesus existed - whether they believe him to be the son of God or just a man who was prophet. The religious texts written detail his life so I suppose that one could say there is some historical proof in those works. There is clearly no proof such as we have today of those who have lived. There is no birth certificate or anything like that. But we also do not have a birth certificate of Alexander the Great and I'm sure you believe he lived even the stories told about him seem grand, impossible and exaggerated?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 08:56 PM
    I posted this link in another thread, but it applies here as well. It discusses the idea that Jesus did exist, or that he was mythical or composed of many individuals. It's an interesting read, and the rest of the site is great too.

Did Jesus Christ exist? All sides to the question
    natetheskate Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Aug 25, 2007, 10:12 PM
    In life there are many roles; father, mother, brother, sister, teacher, constable, soldier, grave digger, christ. Christ is a role that is filled ever so often. These roles are both "natural" occurring, out side of the social environment, and those imposed by the social environment. The "natural" occurring roles are that of a physical nature. "Social" roles are slots that must and will be filled; you need no predisposition to be a grave digger. On the other hand you have that of, say a capable teacher, a capable teacher is a combination of both, the physical predisposition is there and society calls for it.
    The role of a christ is a complex equation with many variables that must be met. The first is that of a person with a sociopathic predisposition. That means he has no sense of a social conscious. Lots of people have no sense of a social conscious. At a very early age a sociopath will go down one of two roads, this is imposed by the environment. Jesus was raised by loving parents with a strong sense of honest morality. So like most children in his adolescence he mimicked his parents. The next road that a christ must go down, is based on his own sense of integrity. This is really who he is not what he believes to be right. His moral standards are nothing more than that which his righteous fearing parents have imposed on him. His integrity is nothing more than an inaptitude to handel change.
    natetheskate Posts: 56, Reputation: 0

Aug 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
    The questions we should be asking ourselves is;
    A. What is righteous?
    B. Is the icon of Jesus Christ hindering the teaching of righteousness?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 11:32 PM
    It just depends on what you personally believe...

I personally believe that "jesus" is the beginning of our government... there may have been a man named Jesus and he taught great beliefs... beliefs that people thought should be accepted by everyone... and it was a way to control everyone to act in a certain way... like government today... the bible, in my believing is a way to get society to act in a certain way in fear of going to "hell"...

Again... it is all based on your personal beliefs
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2007, 06:20 AM
    There is not a reputable scholar that I know of - Christian or Non - who makes an educated claim that Jesus just did not exist.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Jesus (alaihi salaam) is not a figment of someone's imagination.He was born of a miracle birth and showed many miracles during his time on earth.
    He was taken up to to the Almighty and he will descend during the end times to establish truth and abolish falsehood.

And just to inform you this is a Muslim/Islamic belief and it is stated so in the Quran.
    sin is right Posts: 1, Reputation: 0
    -

Oct 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Of course it's a myth. Ask any scientist where the proof of jesus's existence is and he will answer that there is no scientific proof. It's all peoples ancient beliefs. As far as it mentions it in the Koran or bible... The bible was written 300 yrs after the supposed existence of christ and the koran 700 yrs after. How is that proof.
    Have a nice day:p
    grussia Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Oct 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Yes jesus really existed. He was alive 2007 years ago according to the bible.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Perhaps some would rather Jesus didn't exist, and if he did, he wasn't the begotten son of God. As for the proof of his existence, neither the Bible nor Quran are as hard to deny as some of the secular writings. Many look for a way to invalidate his teachings in order to live as they would like. .
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Sep 6, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Perhaps some would rather Jesus didn't exist, and if he did, he wasn't the begotten son of God. As for the proof of his existence, neither the Bible nor Quran are as hard to deny as some of the secular writings. Many look for a way to invalidate his teachings in order to live as they would like. .
    Whether Jesus existed or not has no influence on living as I would like. I do what is right simply because... it is right. I don't need the bible or the ten commandments or any secular law enforcement group to establish right from wrong for me.

Therefore, living with honor is not dependent on the existence of Jesus.
    caperosa Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 06:15 PM

Jesus is the beloved Son of God.
    Jesus really is part of the Trinity (God, Jesus and Holy Spirit) are 3 and 1.
    The Bible is in reality the breathed word of God ( and Jesus). Those who gave their account, were not out of chance or because they simply wanted. God made them in one way or another , conveyors of HIS message.
    There are ancient books who are not part of the Bible for inaccuracy and because it was not "breathed word" as was the books that made the Bible.
    God DO exists.
    You need oxygen to live, you do not see it, but live because of it.
    You do not see God, not Jesus, nor The Holy Spirit, but you live benefiting from their existence without your knowledge or agreement.
    Because the CREATOR does not need the creature (mankind), it is the creature who needs the Creator.
    But because the creature does not see the creator, in ignorance, they go around following lies. Why?
    First of all:
    We were created by God because HE loves us. We were created to love HIM , to worship HIM, to obey HIM.
    Man was first created to live in the eternal Garden of Eden, but the Devil made itself as snake and lured Eve to try of the fruit of the forbidden tree, the tree of Life, the tree that God himself told them ( Adam and Eve) never to try from its fruit.
    Through lies the devil lured Eve who in turn, convinced Adam to eat from the fruit of that tree.
    Man became entangled with sin, therefore, unworthy to be in the presence of God - who is Holy. Sin is pulverized in the presence of God.
    So, Jesus , who is at the Lord's right hand since before the creation of universe and the earth, who is the beloved son of God, the distinguished son of God, so high, that God gave him full authority on Earth, under Earth and Above Earth, the Name to whom all should bow, the Name above all names. Jesus himself offerred to come to become man, to live life among the sinners and blasphemers among those who, in the interest to guarantee their income, blasphemed and hide things of God to man. Jesus submitted himself to live , be humiliated, to suffer absolute and abhorrent pain in order to save us ( mankind) by His blood and sacrifice,in serving as atonement for our transgressions.
    How does it work?
    Get a Zondorvan Published Protestant Bible. Why? It is complete and good to study.
    How to get saved by Jesus?
    Go on your knees in the solitude of your room.
    Call on Jesus, talk to HIM. No specific ritual ( God and Jesus do not like rituals and traditions - they like truth - sincerity - things fresh out of your soul).
    Rituals and Traditions are always man made, it gives man a certain comfort knowing what comes next. But God is not man.
    Tell Jesus all that bothers you, all the need you have, place yourself at HIS feet, ask HIM to take over your life, surrender!
    Tell HIM, confess ALL your sins, and seriously repent. Meaning: do not do it again!
    HE comes to you, changes your life right before your eyes. You see it in awe. He makes sure you feel HIS love for you. He takes the wrong people away from your life and bring new people ( always people who live life in obedience to HIM and devoted to the truth of the Bible). He takes you away from whatever HE does not want you to be near and place you in a different set.This intimate relationship you will have with OUR Savior will change you, you will feel thirsty for the truth in HIM, in GOD, you will study the Bible and God, through the Holy Spirit will reveal things to you. This is another action of God , HE reveals to you, but if one reads the Bible just because, they will take nothing out of it, if you read the Bible with arrogance in your heart, God won't reveal nothing to you. HE himself says, he gives His treasures to HIS children only.
    Because you chose to get near to JESUS to GOD, the devil will open his war against you, Jesus himself warned us about it. But is all worth.
    I can tell you with all sincerity: YES!! GOD EXISTS!! JESUS EXISTS, I am a Jesus follower, I do have a relationship ( I ask, I obey, I fail, I come and ask mercy, I try again, I see HIM transforming me, not to what I expected, but to what HE wants me to be). We can ask all to HIM, HE knows more things and gives us what HE sees it is better to us who ask.
    If you do not come to HIS feet, HE won't impose HIMSELF on you.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Nov 16, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anonta View Post
    Did Jesus really exist or is it just a belief?
    Did he really live on Earth or is it just beliefs like everything in Christinaity including the Bible.
    There is no need for doubt that a human being called Jesus may have lived in the Middle East around that time.
    What the query should be is if that Jesus was indeed the son of "God".
    "God", the claimed-to-exist entity that is suggested to have created the universe, but for whom / which no objective supported evidence towards existence have ever been provided at all.
    All one can do is BELIEVE that!!

:)

cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Nov 16, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Jesus (alaihi salaam) is not a figment of someones imagination.He was born of a miracle birth and showed many miracles during his time on earth.
    He was taken upto to the Almighty and he will descend during the end times to establish truth and abolish falsehood.

And just to inform you this is a Muslim/Islamic belief and it is stated so in the Quran.
    I understand that this is your BELIEF. Belief is not the same thing as hard fact. I happen to believe he existed too. But my belief is not enough to provide proof. Especially the part about being the son of God.
    Miracle birth?? Now that one is a hard one to swallow. I mean would you believe it today if a virgin showed up pregnant? If you would, no problem, if you would not, why not?
    All you have to go on is belief and the bible and the bible is not proof. It's just a book composed of stories, not evidence.
    caperosa Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 10:24 AM

I understand that this is your BELIEF. Belief is not the same thing as hard fact. I happen to believe he existed too. But my belief is not enough to provide proof. Especially the part about being the son of God.
    Miracle birth?? Now that one is a hard one to swallow. I mean would you believe it today if a virgin showed up pregnant? If you would, no problem, if you would not, why not?
    All you have to go on is belief and the bible and the bible is not proof. It's just a book composed of stories, not evidence.

The Bible IS the Breathed Word of God, who exists, created us all, and ancient history mantions facts and people who the Bible describes to us. Throughout the centuries humanists and atheists tried to discredit the Bible and no one could. Simple because the truth is the truth, inexorable!
    01 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard." Psalm 19:1-3

"He has made the earth by His power, He has established the world by His wisdom, and has stretched out the heavens at His discretion." Jeremiah 10:12

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

Science means knowledge, and true science always agrees with the observable evidence. Scientific research continues to unfold the wonders and mysteries of our universe. Interestingly, there is one book that has anticipated many of these scientific facts. That book is the Bible.
    This booklet presents 101 scientific facts found in the Scriptures. Many of these facts were penned centuries before they were discovered. Scientific foreknowledge found only in the Bible offers one more piece to the collective proof that the Bible is truly the inspired Word of the Creator. How does this affect you? The last several pages provide the answer? You need to read them carefully.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

[1]

The earth free-floats in space (Job 26:7), affected only by gravity. While other sources declared the earth sat on the back of an elephant or turtle, or was held up by Atlas, the Bible alone states what we now know to be true, "He hangs the earth on nothing.

Visit:

Modern Science In An Ancient(Institute For Creation Research)

[2]

Creation is made of particles, indiscernible to our eyes (Hebrews 11:3). Not until the 19th century was it discovered that all visible matter consists of invisible elements.

Visit:

All About Atoms(Jefferson Lab)

[3]

The Bible specifies the perfect dimensions for a stable water vessel (Genesis 6:15). Ship builders today are well aware that the ideal dimension for ship stability is a length six times that of the width. Keep in mind, God told Noah the ideal dimensions for the ark 4,500 years ago.

Visit:

Safety Investigation of Noah's Ark in a Seaway(Answers In Genesis)

Noah's Flood and the Gilgamesh Epic(Answers In Genesis)

[4]

When dealing with disease, clothes and body should be washed under running water (Leviticus 15:13). For centuries people naively washed in standing water. Today we recognize the need to wash away germs with fresh water.

[5]

Sanitation industry birthed (Deuteronomy 23:12-13). Some 3,500 years ago God commanded His people to have a place outside the camp where they could relieve themselves. They were to each carry a shovel so that they could dig a hole (latrine) and cover their waste. Up until World War I, more soldiers died from disease than war because they did not isolate human waste.

Visit:

The First Book Of Public Hygiene(Answers In Genesis)

Modern Medicine? It's Not So Modern.(Answers In Genesis)

[6]

Oceans contain springs (Job 38:16). The ocean is very deep. Almost all the ocean floor is in total darkness and the pressure there is enormous. It would have been impossible for Job to have explored the "springs of the sea." Until recently, it was thought that oceans were fed only by rivers and rain. Yet in the 1970s, with the help of deep diving research submarines that were constructed to withstand 6,000 pounds-per-square-inch pressure, oceanographers discovered springs on the ocean floors!

Visit:

Springs of the Ocean(Institute For Creation Research)

[7]

There are mountains on the bottom of the ocean floor (Jonah 2:5-6). Only in the last century have we discovered that there are towering mountains and deep trenches in the depths of the sea.

Visit:

Numerical Simulations Of Precipitation Induced By Hot Mid-Ocean Ridges(Institute For Creation Research)

[8]

Joy and gladness understood (Acts 14:17). Evolution cannot explain emotions. Matter and energy do not feel. Scripture explains that God places gladness in our hearts (Psalm 4:7), and ultimate joy is found only in our Creator's presence,"in Your presence is fullness of joy" (Psalm 16:11).

[9]

Blood is the source of life and health (Leviticus 17:11; 14). Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled" and many died as a result (e.g. George Washington). Today we know that healthy blood is necessary to bring life-giving nutrients to every cell in the body. God declared that "the life of the flesh is in the blood" long before science understood its function.

Visit:

Life in the Blood(Institute For Creation Research)

[10]

The Bible states that God created life according to kinds (Genesis 1:24). The fact that God distinguishes kinds, agrees with what scientists observe, namely that there are horizontal genetic boundaries beyond which life cannot vary. Life produces after its own kind. Dogs produce dogs, cats produce cats, roses produce roses. Never have we witnessed one kind changing into another kind as evolution supposes. There are truly natural limits to biological change.

Visit:

Things You May Not Know About Evolution(Institute For Creation Research)

Creation - Evolution(Institute For Creation Research)

Evolution and the Bible(Institute For Creation Research)

The Fossil Record: Intermediate Links(ChristianAnswers.net)

Archaeopteryx A Feathered Reptile?(ChristianAnswers.net)

The Ape-Man: Missing Link(ChristianAnswers.net)

Biological Evolution Darwin's Finches(ChristianAnswers.net)

[11]

Noble behavior understood (John 15:13; Romans 5:7-8). The Bible and history reveal that countless people have endangered or even sacrificed their lives for another. This reality is completely at odds with Darwin?s theory of the survival of the fittest.

[12]

Chicken or egg dilemma solved (Genesis 1:20-22). Which came first, the chicken or the egg? This question has plagued philosophers for centuries. The Bible states that God created birds with the ability to reproduce after their kind. Therefore the chicken was created first with the ability to make eggs! Yet, evolution has no solution for this dilemma.

Visit:

What Came First, the Chicken or the Egg? (Institute For Creation Research)

The Egg/Chicken Conundrum(Institute For Creation Research)

[13]

Which came first, proteins or DNA (Revelation 4:11)? For evolutionists, the chicken or egg dilemma goes even deeper. Chickens consist of proteins. The code for each protein is contained in the DNA/RNA system. However, proteins are required in order to manufacture DNA. So which came first: proteins or DNA? The ONLY explanation is that they were created together.

Visit:

Things that are Made(Institute For Creation Research)

Evolution Hopes You Don't Know Chemistry: The Problem with Chirality(Institute For Creation Research)

Origin of Life: Critique of Early Stage Chemical Evolution Theories(Institute For Creation Research)

The Origin of Life: Theories on the Origin of Biological Order(Institute For Creation Research)

[14]

Our bodies are made from the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7; 3:19). Scientists have discovered that the human body comprises some 28 base and trace elements, all of which are found in the earth.

Visit:

The Elements of the Periodic Table Sorted by Their Presence in Human Body.(Lenntech)

This is just a small token.
    GOD does not need you, YOU need God.
    Wheather we accept HIM or not, does not change the reality that HE exists, HE created you and I, that HE is theYahweh ( God Almighty) that HE is the One who controls all, that we - creatures should not demand from HIM the creator any explanations. But WE naturally run to HIM because of HIS love, HIS eternal and endless and all embracing love.
    When we suffer, we suffer from consequences of : our sins, bad decisions, when we allow ourselves to be influenced by satan, when that suffering will generate a goodness or growth that God intended us to acquire.

Those who accept Jesus in their heart, become thrist in the Word of God, and when we read the Bible , a lot is revealed to us. This is called the mystery of the Scriptures that those who came in the Mayflower to worship God and Jesus in freedom talked about and we, Protestants of today talk about, that Paul, Timothy and James talked about in the ties right after Jesus' death that they went throughout the Middle East and Asia and ROme spreading the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus. We all say thesme things, we explain to all but only those who are honeslty seeking will find. That is why Jesus say that to those who knock the door will open.
    Those who have a feeling of superiority towards God will never find HIM, their reward is already given.
    Your and mine belief is not the matter, Jesus and God acceptance of us is where the value lays. God is sovereign, Jesus is at His right hand and God made Jesus the name above all names, weather we accept it or not does not change the reality of what is, was and will be. We all exercise freedom of choice allowed to us by God, we have a sinful nature and satan is around feeding it so that we stay away from God. And Jesus is the ONLY way to God, if you cannot accept Jesus , you won't have your sins forgiven through HIS blood and won't receive God's grace , consequently, won't have the pleasure of spending eternity by Jesus' side.
    I hope I was of help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changes in Muslim belief [ 13 Answers ]

The soul of Islam sprang from solitary Christian hermits, scattered here and there throughout the desert, consecrating their lives to God, and fleeing from the wrath to come. Even in pre-Islamic Arabic poetry we see how strong was the impression made on the Arab mind by the gaunt, weird men with...

Catholic belief [ 46 Answers ]

Hello, Could you please inform me of Catholic beliefs, and how the differ from Christian belief? Thank You! browneyedfaith:)

Christians belief [ 5 Answers ]

What do christians believe about jesus?

Belief-O-Matic [ 5 Answers ]

I had originally posted this under another thread, but NeedKarma suggested it could be its own thread, so here it is! I found a fun quiz online called Belief-O-Matic. You answer 20 questions and depending on your answers, your results tell you which religious beliefs you are most in agreement with....

View more questions Search