Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi230 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Boyfriend's Mother is Dying of Cancer
    I was just looking for some advice. My boyfriend of 2 years mother was diagnosed with cancer last month. She has had several surgeries this month, but and things have not been looking good. We were told today that the doctor said they will make her comfortable, but that she will not recover from this. My boyfriend does not accept this, he is sure that she will get better and make it through. I believe in miracles, but I also have to be realistic and realize that the doctor is most likely correct. Most of his family is trying to prepare, making preliminary arrangements and so forth, but he and his father refuse to believe that it is necessary.

I understand that they are in denial, but can anyone offer any advice on dealing with this situation? I am of course here for them no matter what, but I feel like he should begin to prepare himself for what is going to happen. I don't feel like there is anything I can say or do to make him feel better or to help him cope with this.

Any help would be greatly apprecited. Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 06:40 PM
    You let him be in denial and be there for him if it goes bad and there for him if she does get over it.

Denial is normal for many people, and if she does pass, there will or can be various stages, just be there. Normally best thing is nothing.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
    First, let me say I'm terribly sorry to hear that you have such a hardship to face. It's nice to know you're boyfriend has such a nice, loving person that will be there to comfort him throughout this process.

As Fr_Chuck mentioned, denial is a natural part of the grieving process. Its going to be hard for him (them) to accept, but eventually they will. Its probably best now to wait, but quietly remind him that you're here and will be there to do whatever would help.
    I was dating my husband 1 yr. when his younger brother was killed in a car crash. I learned very quickly that it was best for me to stay "invisible" but do the little things that were otherwise forgotten. While everyone was at the house, I'd jump up and make a pot of coffee. I'd sit next to someone at the funeral looking forlorn and just place my arm around them. Small gestures of affection will speak volumes when you may not realize it.

Just stay close by, offer to lend an ear, and say some prayers for them. Small gestures of kindess (cook dinner for the family, take a book to his mother, etc.) will make the biggest impact. Right now he may not see it, but later on he will.

Much love and prayers to you.
    ~n
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Denial works for me. While my wife has been ill, cancer now for several years, I've found denial to be the only way left to remain supportive. We don't know how much longer she has. The Dr's aren't hopeful. They've stated recently, she's not a candidate for this or that. All they can do is try this chemical slurry or that. Everything makes her very tired or depressed. So if they(your boyfriend and family) want to use denial as a tool to help them cope, that's fine by me. I'm glad to hear it's normal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend's mother [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend's mother is an absolute dragon. She totally despies me. She always finds something to criticize me about. She says stuff like I eat too much, although I only weigh 55 kg and am 22 years old.. The one time I played with my b/f and pinched his butt and then she whispered to him that only...

My boyfriend's ex is pregnant; may be his. [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have only been together for 5 months, but we have been friends for years. Back when we were just friends he was engaged to another woman. They broke off their engagement at the beginning of this year and shortly after that we got together. After only being together for 1 month,...

Boyfriend's ex [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for awhile, but about a year ago we split up well while we were apart he was with another girl and they slept together a few times well we got back together and then I found out about her and she tells me she is pregnant and she don't want the baby. She wants...

X boyfriend's new girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

My x boyfriend is now talking to a girl at my school. This girl and I, we used to be friends but no longer are. At school, I will notice her looking at me and talking to her friends. I guess that she didn't know that I used to be with her boyfriend. Y do u think every time she's looking at me ?

Boyfriend's bm won't let him see his baby [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a daughter about a year and a half old by another women. Around 8 years ago, though, he had sex with someone he thought was over-age and found out after they split up (they had been "dating") that she was underage. After the split up she said that the sex had not been consensual...

View more questions Search