Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 PM
    DSO Exploit

If you are having trouble regarding the DSO Exploit, please take a look at http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml. It will answer the most common questions.

Happy holidays,
    ~psi42

* End edit *

Original text as follows:

What is a DSO Exploit??

I ran the spybot program on my computer (windows 98 se) One of the things it found was something called DSO Exploit. Says it's a registry change. The path is HKEY-users\default\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings. There's a message about being a security hole in IE allowing websites to execute code.
    Can anyone tell me what this means and if I should get rid of it or not? Is this something that's dangerous and that is hurting or messing up my computer?
    What happens if I get rid of it?

Thanks
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Apr 16, 2004, 07:37 PM
    DSO Exploit
    Hi kat555lady,

By all means, let Spybot get rid of it for you, you don't want it on the computer. Have you seen a web page with a name like CoolSearch, or somethng similar? If yes, you will want to download CWShredder from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14 :)

Apr 16, 2004, 11:03 PM
    DSO Exploit
    Thank you whiskey, I appreciate it.

Kat.
    sblumenthal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2004, 06:22 AM
    DSO Exploit
    I'm getting the same DSO exploit message after running Spy Bot. I tried to get rid of it. I even ran the Shredder and it still comes back. Does anyone have a fix?

May 17, 2004, 07:27 AM
    Re: DSO Exploit
    Try downloading Spy Sweeper from:

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

Once it's removed, go to Windows Update and download any CRITICAL UPDATE(S) available, also keep the antivirus program up to date.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Cellarius Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2004, 02:51 PM
    DSO Exploit
    I've tried both "Spybot - Seach & Destroy" and "Spy Sweeper" in an effort to solve the same problem you have. No luck for me. Any success on your end?

May 18, 2004, 05:16 PM
    DSO Exploit
    Check out the following site for information:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1075260322

Whiskey14

May 18, 2004, 11:58 PM
    DSO Exploit
    I'm not evensure what a DSO Exploit even is... can someone tell me please?

Kat.

May 19, 2004, 10:18 AM
    DSO Exploit
    Hi Kat,

The following site explains:

http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    Cellarius Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2004, 08:20 AM
    DSO Exploit
    I finally got rid of DSO Exploit using "Spybot Search & Destroy" with the following method:

Have "Search & Destroy" look for problems the usual way and then (1) highlight one of the "Data source object exploit" items, (2) Right click the highlighted item to bring up the menu list and select "More details", (3) Now click "Jump to location", (4) You are now viewing the Registry and can use the path shown in the Search & Destroy window to get to the key shown, (5) I manually deleted each of 5 keys and no longer have it coming back. I haven't noticed any change in performance so I trust that I did no harm but I am happy not to have the damned thing any more.
    rodgdog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2004, 09:57 AM
    I am having the same problems. Using spybot I have come up with a registery file named " Patrick Dugan" can I delete this file using the method suggested by Cellarius without any problems?
    Thanks
    Sudbury Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2004, 01:31 PM
    DSO Exploit
    If all your critical updates are installed you are protected against DSO Exploit and the finding in Spybot is just a nuisance. Eliminate this by doing the following:

1 Open Spybot and select 'advanced' mode.
    2 Select 'settings' in the left column.
    3 Select 'ignore product' in the left column.
    4 Select 'security' tab.
    5 Place check mark in box beside DSO Exploit.
    6 Close program
    7 Open Spybot and run a scan.

You will find that DSO Exploit has been eliminated and if your computer does not harbour any other spyware you will see a congratulatory message.

May 22, 2004, 07:14 PM
    DSO Exploit
    Thank you for your help! ;D ;D
    boodaloo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2004, 12:28 PM
    I'm having the same DSO exploit problem, I've run spybot, fixed the prob, and it still comes back. I followed the steps to get to the registry editor, but I don't understand how to delete the keys using the path in spybot... please help!

May 25, 2004, 06:44 PM
    DSO Exploit
    Follow the directions that Sudbury suggested. Spy Bot is aware of the problem and will correct it on the next release.
    Rodgdog :o
    Jazzman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2004, 08:15 AM
    I followed Sudbury's suggestion and the DSO Exploit is gone from my system. But do I now have to unclick the "Advanced Mode" in my Spybot?

May 26, 2004, 08:43 AM
    DSO Exploit
    No. Leave it as is. ;)
    Jazzman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2004, 09:04 AM
    The reason that I ask is that when I switched to the Advanced Mode, a box came up that said that the Advanced Mode offered more options but some of these options might do harm to my system. Do you know what they meant by this?

May 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
    DSO Exploit
    I believe it means that you are allowed to do more changes in advanced mode that could screw up your system if you are not aware of what you are doing.
    Be careful! Ask first if you are not sure.
    Rodgdog
    Evie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 11:54 PM
    Wait! Wouldnt' that just ignore the dso exploits that pop up? It wouldn't read any dso exploits.. it would just ignore them and skip over them and not put them in the list of stuff that is on your computer.
    I may be wrong on that.. please tell me if I am

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

My computer (XP) switched off automatically. After running spypot; I found out the computer was infected by DSO Exploit. I treid all kind off salutions but without any succes. At last I decided to run the recoverydisc. During recovery the PC allso keeps switching of. Now my PC cannot run XP...

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

Since a few month my computer (XP homeedition) switches of power unexpectely. Especially when info is transferred from one to another place. Like editing films, watching DVD etc. After running Spybot I found out the PC is infected with DSO Exploit. I treid allmost everything but the PC kept...

DOS Exploit [ 10 Answers ]

I ran spybot and came up with DOS exploit.  I've tried a few of the tips previous users gave but it is still showing up.  I have the CWShredder but I have no idea what to do with it.  The computer guys at my school installed all these items and didn't explain what they do.  I don't want to do...

View more questions Search