Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gringaloca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Can I marry an mexican illegal immigrant even though I am a convicted felon?:confused
    I'm with a mexican guy who has lived here for 7 years illegally. I love him with all my heart and am scared he may get deported. I need to know if I can marry him even though I am a convicted felon and if I can how hard will it be and what steps will I have to take?:(
    manofgod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Can I marry a mexican even though I am a convicted felon
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 18, 2009, 09:10 PM

Not enough information to determine if you can successfully petition for him.

Your felony conviction generally will not affect your petition for him. Most likely, the biggest issue will be his immigration status. You say he is illegal in the US; if he entered lawfully with a B visa, BCC or laser visa and overstayed, his overstay and any unauthorized employment will be forgiven under INA section 245(a). If he entered EWI, he will need to be grandfathered of section 245(I) which expired April 30, 2001 and he had to have filed a preference petition or started a labor certification to qualify, there is a $1000 penalty fee to the USCIS .

I advise you to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer. Sounds like the case is either very easy or very difficult, depending on the facts of the case. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Requirements to marry an immigrant [ 5 Answers ]

I am wanting to marry an immigrant from Thailand. What requirements are there? I have heard that I must make so much money per year to be able to do that. Is that true? What paperwork is needed? Also, how easy is it for illegal immigrants to marry American citizens? Is anybody checking to see if an...

I am a convicted felon [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the state of California so if anyone can help me please or give me any advive I would appriecate it very much. I am a recovering addict. I have almost five years clean. When I was using, I was a totally different person and went a little crazy, stupid crazy. Anyway, I was convicted of...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Illegal Immigrant in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Is there anyone out their that can help me? I am 58 years old and my boyfriend is some 22 years old - please do not all go errrr! It does happen. We have been together for 3 years in August, he loves me and I love him very much. We have been living in Italy, him illegally...

View more questions Search