Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshodge Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Pedestal sink
    Hello

My husband and I are renovating our master bath, we'd like to take the small sink that we currently have and install 2 pedestal sinks, his and hers, but the problem is that we have never seen this done anywhere else, we always see doble vanities but never 2 pedestals sinks design. We don't want to have problems later on if we decide to sell the house, we are afraid people may thing 2 pedestal sinks are weird.
    Can someone tell me if it is OK to do it, or if we want a pedestal sink we should stick with just one?

Thanks
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
    You can run two with no problem, but you'll have to either plumb the additional drain and supplies into the wall or through the floor. If your current plumbing is coming up through the floor, it wouldn't cause much problem, but if your current plumbing is inwall, then you'll need to do a little bit of demo.

Also, keep in mind that pedestals commonly require a "nailer" behind the drywall where it mounts to the wall. This nailer is a piece of wood that keeps your sink pulling clear of the wall when it's tugged on. I've seen people use butterfly bolts or anchors, but personally, wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks,
    Json
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
    I should note that you should be careful not to disrupt your current venting system. You wouldn't want to set either drain up to where it's not in the path of the vent.

Thanks,
    Json
    waterguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marshodge
    Hello

My husband and I are renovating our master bath, we'd like to take the small sink that we currently have and install 2 pedestal sinks, his and hers, but the problem is that we have never seen this done anywhere else, we always see doble vanities but never 2 pedestals sinks design. We don't want to have problems later on if we decide to sell the house, we are afraid people may thing 2 pedestal sinks are weird.
    Can someone tell me if it is OK to do it, or if we want a pedestal sink we should stick with just one?

Thanks
    If you are going with pedestals, install the largest ones that you can fit. The small ones have little ledge space and the bowls are very small.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I don't see a problem using the 2 pedistals but for resale, it may be a lack of storage potential customers may not like
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Yes a lack of storage and counter space. If you want two pedestal sinks, then you should have two pedestal sinks. But I would recommend having a "vanity" area for the lady that will be the potential buyer one day. She will need somewhere to do her makeup every a.m.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pedestal sink has poor aesthetic [ 4 Answers ]

The pedestal sink was finally installed and it looks terrible. Entering the bathroom from the hallway the pedestal hardly conceals the drain line; can anything be done at this point or do I have to remove it and settle for a vanity with a drop in sink.

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Sink pedestal to go around pipes 8 in. Apart [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any sink pedestals out there that have open backs (I know Kohler does not) that can fit around pipes that come out of the floor that are 8 in. apart. The inside of the pedestal base would have to measure 8 or more inches in order to fit around the pipes. We know we can use a vanity...

Supply Pipes Under Pedestal Sink [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a new pedestal sink. How close to the wall do I cut the copper supply stub outs? I would like to make it as attractive as possible by coming close to the wall, but don't want to burn down the house in the process. Thanks - Dennis

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search