Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Aug 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
    "Measuring Big"-what does this mean.
    I am 22 weeks pregnant, I have been having some problems with hypertension, and not gaining weight and have been going to the doctors weekly. Yesterday at my appointment she measured me with a measuring tape, and said that I was measuring a lot bigger than 22 weeks... does anyone know what this might mean?? I intend to ask my doctor about it next week, it slipped my mind at the appointment with everything else that went on.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I think it means that you may be further along in your pregnancy than 22 weeks. I would think the next step would be an ultrasound?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Typically it means the size of your uterus seems larger than would be at your gestational age. It could mean anything from a larger baby to multiples... it could be nothing at all. All women grow differently when pregnant. If you have not yet had an u/s, this will be the next step.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
    It could be multiple babies, a large baby, larger then normal amniotic fluid levels, being farther along on the due date then origonally thought, uterine fibroids, baby is higher up, your abdominal muscles are more stretched out and loose (from previous pregnancy for example) or it could mean nothing at all.( Try looking at this site from Baby Center BabyCenter -- Measuring large or small for dates)
    If your doctor seems concerned they will most likely order an earlier ultra sound. If not, you'll have your ultra sound on time. I was measuring big with my first son, and they thought I might be carrying twins. Turned out he was just a big healthy baby. From now on write any questions you have down on a piece of paper, and take it with you to every appointment, this will help you to remember to ask your questions. Good luck.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:51 PM
    You should, be theory, measure in inches the same amount weeks pregnant you are... hence... you are 22 weeks pregnant you should measure 22 inches. But supporting what everyone else has said it could be a number of things... they may have misjudged how far along you actually are, you could have multiples (but the doctor should have noticed that by now by listening to the heartbeat), or you could just be gaining more weight which could be from a big baby or just you.

During my pregnancy I always measured "big". They ruled out multiples. They stuck with my due date (although it was hard to determine when I conceived because I was on birth control pills and didn't have regular periods). Then they said I was going to have a big baby. None of the above applied... except maybe how far along I was. They gave me a due date of Jan. 11th... this was/is my first child and I delivered early... Dec. 31st. My daughter only weighed 6lbs 7oz... definitely NOT a big baby :).

I'm sure if it was something to be concerned about the doctor would have told you.

But still, mention it at your next appt :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search