Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nsdill Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2007, 03:41 PM
    I won't go back to Walmart pharmacy for any medication. I think they are overworked and rushing out prescriptions to waiting angry customers. You can't do that with medicine. As far as a law suit. I have no plans on doing that. I have no money. I know it will go nowhere it just makes me mad.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 03:53 PM
    You are correct in that they measure and mix the meds, especially the liquids (better known as suspension) when the script comes in. The others here, unfortunately, have it all wrong.

And you have every right to be upset. I know I would be. But like Chuck said, playing devil's advocate, or defense attorney...

You noticed that there was something wrong, yet gave it to her anyway.

She did not receive any permanent damage so, unfortunately, there is really little that can be done except to contact the WalMart Headquarters or possibly contact your local licensing board and file a complaint.

I was a medical malpractice researcher prior to going into nursing school. So, I am advising you as if you were a client of mine on how to approach this situation. Many attorneys will not take this on a contingency fee basis as there is no permanent damage. If you tell me where you live, either here or in PM if you don't want it known, and I will try an put you in touch with your local licensing board so that you can file a formal complaint.

That is the best way to start.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
    I just want to say that I was getting my medicene at wal-mart and they always give us problems with it. Usually we have to wait forever to get it or sometimes other things happen. But I really do not trust wal-mart pharamcy's
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Let me say that we all have to be proactive in our health. That means starting with the doctor. It is important that we have the doctor tell us what the prescription is. Learn how to read them, it's really not hard actually, then make sure what the pharmacy gives us is exactly what the doctor prescribed.

We are all human. We make mistakes. Yes, sometimes those mistakes are dangerous, but less dangerous if we learn to read the scripts given to us and we are not afraid to ask questions.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 06:32 PM
    I personally can not read my prescriptions when I receive one from the doctor. And I do not know how the pharmicist do either. I feel bad for your misfortune. Good luck in fighting wally world. I am sure they have the best lawyers they can BUY, if you know what I mean.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 06:37 PM
    It is bad that your daughter got sick. But good luck in fighting wally world. They have the best lawyers money can BUY I am sure, if you know what I mean. And not defending wally world here , but I do not see how anyone, even the doctor that wrote the prescription, can read the dang thing. I have never been able to read the prescriptions. That is why I ask the doctor what I will be taking, the dosage, and the quanity and duration.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I was not saying or trying to defend Walmart, I wanted to boycott walmart years ago because of so many practices. And I stopped using their pharamacy a couple of years ago, as many have, why do you think they started that 2 or 3 dollar drug program, to get business back from other drug stores, knowing if they give those few drugs cheap they will get your other drugs also.
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Chuck, I don't think anyone said you were trying to defend WalMart.

I was trying to point out that you were factually wrong in how the medications are mixed and measured.
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    why do you think they started that 2 or 3 dollar drug program, to get business back from other drug stores, knowing if they give those few drugs cheap they will get your other drugs also.
    Chuck,

I am sorry, but again you are sadly mistaken. This program was not started by WalMart, but other companies in many states do this now. Why? Due to the high cost of prescription meds and the low percentage of Americans without insurance.

It has very little, if anything, to do with cheap drugs and getting business. It has to do with the failing economics and the healthcare system in our country. People without insurance cannot afford to go to the doctor and when they do, they can't afford the medications. This is one way that the pharmaceutical companies are giving back to the population.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I know this sounds stupid, but it happens. Children sometimes throw up drugs that are perfectly good. Can you be absolutely certain it was the drug? Are you sure it didn't just taste bad?

Here is some information on "Ceftin": Ceftin Information from Drugs.com

Down below are some articles clipped from the website regarding Ceftin.

How should I take Ceftin?

Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

You may take Ceftin tablets with or without meals.
    Ceftin oral suspension (liquid) must be taken with food. Shake the oral suspension well just before you measure a dose. To be sure you get the correct dose, measure the liquid with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one. If you switch from using the tablet form to using the oral suspension (liquid) form of this medicine, you may not need to use the same dosage in number of milligrams. The medication may not be as effective unless you use the exact form and strength your doctor has prescribed. Use this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Ceftin will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.

This medication can cause you to have unusual results with certain lab tests to check for glucose (sugar) in the urine. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are taking Ceftin.
    Store Ceftin tablets at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Store Ceftin oral suspension in the refrigerator. Do not allow it to freeze.

What are the possible side effects of Ceftin?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

Diarrhea that is watery or bloody;

Fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;

Seizure (black-out or convulsions); or

Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin).

Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain;

Headache, dizziness;

Fussiness or crying (in children);

Sleep problems (insomnia); or

Vaginal itching or discharge.
    vjsmom Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nsdill
    Two days ago I took my daughter to the doctor for a very painful earache. The doctor gave me a prescription of Ceftin. I took it to walmart to have it filled. When I got home the medicine was so thick, that I had to take a straw and scrape it out of the bottle and put it into a measuring spoon and mix with water before my daughter could suck it up with a straw. I didn't think it looked right. As soon as she ingested it she began to throw up. I felt so bad because anyone with children knows you nearly have to force it down anyway when it is bitter. I called the prescribing the doc next morning to see if it was normal for that medicine to be so thick. They said it is thick but should pour from the bottle. I took it to the office and they looked at it and said they didn't think it should be like that. I called the pharmacy at walmart and they said bring it back we will replace it! I said I don't want it replaced it made her terribly ill. They tried to justify it and say it had been checked three times. I don't care if it was checked ten times, it was mixed wrong. I asked them for the medicine back and went up the road to another pharmacy and showed it to them. The pharmacist there said it was definitly mixed wrong. What makes me so angry is walmart's refusal to acknowledge that it was wrong and trying to keep the medicine. Does anyone know the best way to launch a complaint about that pharmacy? It's one thing to mess up but to deny and hide it is dangerous when dealing with medicine. Thank you
    That's not the first time a wal-mart messed up... Last year I got pink eye and had my rx filled at the wal-mart in emporia Ks... Good thing I read the box because they gave me the wrong thing... It had a big warning on it that if put in eyes cld cause blindness... so they suck

Aug 26, 2007, 08:06 AM
    I took it to another pharmacy... they verified the medication was not mixed right. They said it wasn't diluted with nearly enough water. It was so thick you could not pour it.. not even by smacking the bottom of the bottle while holding it upside down. She is doing fine on Ceftin pills.

Aug 26, 2007, 08:07 AM
    vjsmom... did you do anything about that... That is so scary! To think you could have been blinded? What did you do about it?
    vjsmom Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2007, 01:14 PM
    I freaked out and took it back... And all they said was Sorry...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walmart Radio Network [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, newbie here. I have heard a song in Walmart, no lyrics to post, but I'm trying to find it - does anyone know whether Walmart allows access to playlists? Is there some web site for their network? Thanks in advance.

Walmart radio [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I see there is no playlist for walmart radio, so if anyone has any idea what song this is, I have searched and searched, no success, or luck. So it's a slower song, and by a woman. It starts run away with me, and repeats it through out the song. It sounds like maybe an older jazz sort of...

Mugged inside Walmart [ 3 Answers ]

My mother was mugged inside Walmart store. She was pushed to the ground and hurt while greeters watched and no one helped. The camera inside the store was told to have been fuzzy and didn't get a clear picture of the man. But it was never shown to her. The camera to the outside of the store was...

Discrimination at walmart [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is a grandmother of 12 children. She went to Walmart to pick up a prescription for her 2 yr old grandson because my sister was having to admit her 1 yr old daughter to the hospital and wasn't able to get it herself. The children are currently covered by Medicaid because she is a...

Dating Policy at Walmart? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the policy on dating a coworker of the same status at walmart? For instance, if an assistant manager were to date another assistant manager? Is there a policy against dating co-workers at Walmart? The reason I ask is that my ex blamed everything wrong in our relationship on me but was...

View more questions Search