Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jk100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 08:12 AM
    1 PC 2 Network Cards 2 Internet Connections
    I have a single PC running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 that has 2 network cards.

I need to configure things to use the first network card and the first Internet connection for FTP client and server use and ALL web browsing.

Then I need to configure the second network card to connect to the office LAN and NOT use its associated second internet connection for any Internet related use.

I'm using Windows XP networking for the LAN setup through a Linksys router. Both Internet connections are from the same Cable ISP.

Any help on how/what to configure would be very appreciated.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
    nic 1 = Internet
    nic 2 = Office Lan only.

Try disabling the default gateway on nic 2.
    ... or...
    Set the default gateway for nic 2 to the same ip address as the default gateway for nic 1.

If you receive your IP configuration via dhcp then you will have to hard code your information on nic 1 which is going to cause problems if your IP address changes after your lease expires.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I have to ask WHY ?
    Remember the KISS principle, you are trying to make things overly complex.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Ah, I was under the impression that the FTP server would have to be accessible from the internet, also... In that case, jstrike's solution wouldn't work.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Ah, I was under the impression that the FTP server would have to be accessible from the internet, also... In that case, jstrike's solution wouldn't work.
    FTP Client... and even then I'm not sure my solution will work, especially if he's getting his ip settings from DHCP. He'd have to hard code his ip address, subnet mask and default gateway. If his IP address changes there's going to be/could be a conflict and he probably won't be able to access the office lan.

Unless the office lan is totally bogged down and the second internet connection is just his, I doubt there'll be a performance gain.

You could actually accomplish the same thing with a single nic using the alternate gateway address since all the information is going to be going over the same copper till it hits the gateway.

Aug 24, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Hah, whoops, I read the OP wrong. I thought he wanted to use the secodn one JUST for ftp, then use the web through the office.

You'd have to add a static route to your routing table. Most likely, the default gateway right now for the 0.0.0.0 network is set to your office router, with a metric of 20. You can a gateway in the advanced setting for the new connection, leaving the IP and DNS settings to whatever the ISP tells you (probably obtain automatically). Add a gatewayof whatever you get from your ISP, with a metric of LOWER than 20. That means it will try that one before the one on your office LAN. Then, you'll also have fault tolerance, because if you can't get out to the net from that card, it will just use the office LAN as a backup. To not have it use the office lan as a backup, you'd have to configure those settings manually, and not include a defualt gateway. This will only work if you're all on one subnet in the office. (If it's a small office, you probably are)

It might be easier just to put a laptop in there to connect to the net, and get a KVM switch. Plug the keyboard and mouse into it, and you can switch between them with the click of a button.
    jk100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Sorry… Perhaps I should have given some background to lend meaning to the question.

The FTP is used heavily to transfer very large multimedia files between us and clients. The LAN is also used heavily for standard web surfing and email functions. The original single internet connection we had just became overloaded.

The solution we thought was to simply have a second separate Internet connection and cable its second modem directly to the second network card installed in the workstation used for the FTP.

So the first card is connected to a switch, then to a router, and then to the first Internet connections modem. The second card is connected directly to the second Internet connections modem.

The plan is (be it a bad one) is to isolate all FTP and web traffic on the one workstation and force it to use only the second Internet connection and only use the original network card for LAN print and file sharing activities.

I had thought I'd solved the issue by defining in the router to 'filter' the port assigned to the workstation with the FTP so it was prevented from accessing the internet. It seemed to work accept for various reasons the assigned port number changes occasionally and the first thing we know about it is the LAN is hammered until the router definition is update with the newly assigned port number.

Aug 25, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Ah, in that case, you shuold be able to set a manual IP configuration on the first card. If you use the same IP addressing scheme as the router, you should still be able to connect to the local network, and then just leave the default gateway empty. If you have a linksys or netgear oh similar router, usually there are some address outside of what DHCP will give out. Check to see what the DHCP settings are on the router, and if it's something like 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.200, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, you can usually set the computer's IP to something like 192.168.0.99, DNS server to the router's IP (which in this case would usually be 192.168.0.1), and no default gateway. Then, it would only go to the addresses on that specific network, not anywhere outside. Once you set up the other card, it would have a default gateway for the ISP, which it would use to get outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet connections [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it hard to connect dell computers to the internet?

Network connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a good feeling that when I play an online game such as age of empires or fifa 06 etc the other computers on my network don't work, the internet we share seems to get unconnected for them. Im not sure if this is why, but it only seems to happen when I'm playing a game does anyone have any...

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

Shot gunning network cards [ 17 Answers ]

I have heard about being able to use two nics and being able to double the speed that you are connecting. Has anyone done this and if so how would one hook this up?

View more questions Search