Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mammazeta Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Welsh arch
    Hi can anyone tell me how to build a welsh arch, my brother has to find out for his construction homework and I can't find nothing on the internet about it.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I can tell you how to build an arch, but I'm unsure what a welsh arch is. Can you give more detail?
    mammazeta Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 12:24 PM
    It is an arch in wales, uk apparently the bricks go a certain way but I'm not quite sure myself, if you can't answer it no problem thanks fro trying.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 27, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I've looked myself to see and I'm running into the same problem sorry I couldn't help
    wdavies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
    I believe that a Welsh arch is an arch made with three masonry units. The two outer units cantilever over the window or door jamb and are angle cut symmetrically to receive the keystone unit. The bottom of the arch is perfectly straight with no curve or "arch". The strength comes from the force of pressure from the keystone pushing against the two outer units.
    hel1569 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
    We have welsh arches on our 1930's house. Our builders are going to replicate it for the garage we are building.
    The arch is made up of a different brick to the house i.e soft reds. The bricks are standing up and angled from one side to the other like a v above a window or door in the lintle. Straight at the bottom and straight at the top. The bricks have to be cut at an angle one and a half bricks high alternating each one. In the middle are tiles thick at the top going smaller at the bottom to fill the v, usually done with a different morter colour. Looks very nice when done. Hope this helps. Helen
    old bricklayer Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2014, 07:01 AM
    A Welsh Arch is an arch made of three bricks that go over a single pipe in the ground instead of using a lintel bricks at each end of the void are corble and cut at 45% at the end that is corbled the key brick is cut at 45% both ends and the placed in the gap that's over the pipe
    That's what is called a welsh arch its only three bricks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 8, 2014, 03:29 PM
    As the old bricklayer said, "That's why it is called a welsh arch its only three bricks"... see image below:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling around an arch? [ 2 Answers ]

The wall between our kitchen and living room has a 34" wide x 28" high opening with an arch at the top. I would like to tile both the wall around the opening as well as the inside of the opening. How do I finish off where the tile edges come together around the arch? I can use bull nose tile on the...

Interior arch project [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to construct an arched entry into my dining area. Currently, there is a 70” wide x 4.5” deep x 8’ high opening between two walls; ceiling is 8’ high. I think it needs a 1’ head wall at the top of the arch. Any suggestions on how to construct a frame, arch, and cover it with drywall...

Arch Fault Breakers [ 3 Answers ]

I installed AFCI breakers in a 100 amp panel. When the lights are turn on the breaker shut down the circuit. Everything is wired properly! Is there a special way to install AFCI breakers? Help Parcom

Creating arch openings in wall [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so I think I've watched ONE too many episodes of 'Flip That House'. I loved an idea I saw and want to do something similar in the house I just bought. I want to take the wall (not load-bearing) between the dining area and kitchen and open up two large (wider than door-size) openings with...

View more questions Search