Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Ficus tree
    I had a large ficus tree cut back. I do not want it to grow again. The tree service
    Guy told me use diesel fuel. Which I have been doing.
    Any other tips to prevent the ficus from growing?? Because of hurricanes I am compel to cut this monster ficus tree
    Back to 7 feet hight. Some of the roots are above ground.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 05:43 AM
    What a terrible suggestion, diesel fuel, but the fica is an indoor plant. If you don't want it to get bigger you have to keep cutting it back or just destroy it altogether, remove it from the pot and chop it up. Plants have a tendency to keep growing you know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 07:29 AM
    O'Neill, are you in Florida by any chance? Sorry Tickle, a Ficus is quite the popular outdoor tree in the southern part of the US.

Your tree guy did not suggest grinding the stump? I would suggest you go to your local Co-Op if you have one there, and ask for their root killer or stump killer.

When we cut ours we continuously mowed over the stump when doing regular lawn care and it eventually stopped growing. The stump was grass level.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Try drilling holes in the stump and pour rock salt down in the holes. Also , I would probably not use diesel fuel anymore, due to the epa. This is in gross violation of epa standards and you could be severely fined.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    What a terrible suggestion, diesel fuel, but the fica is an indoor plant. If you dont want it to get bigger you have to keep cutting it back or just destroy it altogether, remove it from the pot and chop it up. Plants have a tendency to keep growing you know.
    Opps sorry, you agreed not to use diesel, forgive me I am new.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Good points. The one about the epa especially.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ficus tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6' ficus that was recently given to me as a gift. Upon further inspection, I found that it has a dry black mold over most of the leaves and parts of the branches. I need to find out if, in the long run, this will be damaging to the plant. The mold is easily removed by taking a damp...

Nursing my ficus tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my ficus tree for about 1 month. Now the leaver are falling off and they look like they are dying. I water it once a week and it is in my office. What can I do to nurse it back to good health. Is this normal for it to lose all of its leaves?

Ficus Tree not growing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my Ficus tree has been the same size as when I bought it 2 years ago. I appears healthy and I keep it in the same place. It just doesn't seem to get any fuller or bigger. Please tell me what I can do to help it along. Thanks

Ficus Tree [ 1 Answers ]

My ficus tree is weak and has lost the majority of its leaves. I'm trying to doctor it back to health. It is not over-watered, currently in indirect sunlight. It has no sappy discharge, mold, mites, etc. I have a perfectly healthy ficus but need advise on how to revive it back to health. ...

View more questions Search