Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mael Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 04:15 AM
    ASTHMA! Emergency.
    My boyfreind is asthmatic.. he's asthma occurs once a week or sometimes twice.. what are the things that he should avoid? And what medicine is best for him... and does the nebulizer really helps?? :( :( :( :(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 04:21 AM
    He should avoid whatever triggers an attack. It is different for everyone. Some people are allergic to cats for instance, while others are allergic to flowers.

The meds are all different too. Does he have a rescue inhaler, like the kind you can put in a pocket or a purse? Or does he have a nebulizer, the kind that is plugged into a wall? Or both?

There are many many meds out there and only his doctor can prescribe the right med for him. Albuterol is usually the fastest acting rescue inhaler.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 05:16 AM
    He needs to go and have a complete alergy screen done, it will tell him things that triggers his astma. And yes he needs that rescue inhaler, I never ever leave home without one, I keep one in each car, in my work bag and in my work vechile.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
    He needs to follow what the doctor ordered.

He should know what triggers the attacks... physical activity, smoke, allergies etc... and stay away from them. His doctor can also prescribe a daily medication that can control the asthma, like Singulair or Zytrec.

Yes nebulizers do work... they administer medication. They are usually only used during severe attacks. He should have an inhaler that he has with him all the time.
    MrsJoseph06 Posts: 189, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
    He needs to see a DR! Asthma can be very serious! Yes, the nebulizer works but it should be used after an inhailer is used. At least that's what my Dr. has me do. His asthma is out of control and he needs to see a DR!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Does he have a prevention inhaler that he takes on a daily basis? Advair has a combination of two medications. It is in a form of a discus or inhaler. There are so many different medications and solutions to asthma. Avoiding triggers can help plus an allergy testing is defiantly needed. Foods, environmental, medication and so many other triggers that were alrighty mentioned can trigger an attack. Even overeating and having a sedatary lifestyle can make asthma worse. Also carpets, regular washing of bed sheets because of mites and dust are the most common, animal dander.

I hope that he is getting regular doctor counseling and checkups for this. Twice a week it is not well controlled. Needs to be taken care of asap.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    His doctor can also prescribe a daily medication that can control the asthma, like Singulair or Zytrec.
    This is very wrong information here. Zyrtec is an ALLERGY med not an ASTHMA med. Please do not confuse the two as Asthma, if not treated properly, can be deadly.

There are many meds out on the market, as I have stated before, DPI (Dry Powder Inhalers) such as Advair or Asthmanex that will help prevent an attack if taken as directed. Combination drugs such as Combivent that can be used to control or as rescue if needed and others still such as Theodur (preventive), Aerobid, Albuterol, etc.

Albuterol is the first line drug for rescue inhalers as well as for the nebulizer. Other drugs such as corticosteroids like Prednisone/Prelone can be used as well for the inflammation in the bronchial tree that accompanies asthma attacks.

Always, Always, ALWAYS follow your doctor's orders. Never take advice strictly from a website as some information, like that above recommending allergy meds rather than asthma meds has potentially serious ramifications.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
    My mistake... I meant to put controls allergies, but obviously in my head I was still seeing the asthma question.

Thanks for catching that for me J_9... I am fully aware of the difference of the two. My daughter has both. She is on Singulair and Zytrec, and has a nebulizer and inhaler as needed.

She has non-allergic rhinusitus, meaning she gets all the symptoms of allergies but is not allergic to a darn thing.

But controlling her "allergies" in turn help control anything that may trigger an asthma attack... see your doctor!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Weather changes and exercise can trigger Asthma. Identifying triggers can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asthma [ 9 Answers ]

Can you be on steroids and not gain weight

My brother has asthma [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everybody. I’m a newbie. Well, my name is Karen and I stay in London. I have a little brother and the latter is an asthma patient….he has respiration problems. Since 2 years he is suffering from this ailment….I’m really worried about him. I read an article about a certain medicine...

Asthma with rib pain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been having this pain in right side for 2 weeks now it started with breast pain and I don't feel no lumps and I have yearly mamograms and now my rib is so sore I thought it was my asthma it hurts to bend over cough sneeze and its in one area like sometimes when I do bend it almost feels...

Dachsund and Asthma [ 3 Answers ]

I am a realtor and clients want to purchase a home where two mini dachshunds were living. How much of an asthma risk is this short haired breed? Does this breed tend to have a dander problem that might induce severe reaction?

Allergies/asthma/neither? [ 2 Answers ]

For a long time I've been known to have "colds" very often, but someone gave me on the idea that it might be allergies. I always have a stuffy nose, though some days its worse than others, and I sneeze a lot. And sometimes I'll have itchy eyes. Since I have these pretty much all year, I didn't...

View more questions Search