Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juan_p__m Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
    96 Civic Idle Jumps
    Soon after start up idle jumps between 1000rpms to 2000rpms, no engine trouble codes, swapped new Idle Air Control Valve, swapped the PVC valve, clean throttle body, idle adjust did nothing, switch signals to computer all check out, hoses and connections all check out, changed the ECU for one on eBay, with no change in the idle. I did put a large piece of rubber on the intake to block air flow and the car idle settled and continued to run. Now I am really puzzled. Do I have an intake leak? Can anyone help? Two years trouble free record has come to an end! :(

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr 5spd
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Test/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) inside the distributor. AutoZone can test ICMs and coils for free.

See if you think the link below describes your situation:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post260436
    juan_p__m Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I will test it, your post260436 has been very enlightning. But can you explain to me why if I cover the throttle body intake completely the surge settles, and engine continues running? The guys at the shop assure me I have either a vacuum leak, loose intake, cracked manifold.

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I agree with you that it sounds more like a leak than a problem with the ICM. However, I wanted you to read the link, just in case you thought it described your situation. Use soap and water and see if it helps you locate the leak. Any leak, whatsoever, totally screws up carburetion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'93 Civic idle surges temporarily [ 5 Answers ]

When I start my car cold, I don't take off until the idle goes well below 1500rpm. It runs quite well. When I start my car warm, the idle is below 500rpm and it runs quite well. However, when I start my car after it has been sitting for about an hour, the idle starts at 2000rpm and goes to...

95 Civic,Rough idle [ 6 Answers ]

We have a 1995 Honda Civic with a strange problem. It will run great for awhile and then it will start to jerk while cruising. When it comes to a stop light, the idle will be very rough. It almost seems like the car is not getting enough gas.It wasn't doing it consistently enough to bring it to...

Honda civic idle trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this forum but id like to ask some question My civic is a 2000 model vtec 1.6 (manual tansmission) and has some idling problem It stalls if the engine is cold when I drive it. The only time it stall when I shift it into neutral, but when its hot its OK. I never had this kind of...

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search