Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
    My dog pee's on the door!
    Ok so my husband and I rescued a puppy... they take in litters to aviod them being put to sleep. They shelter had no idea what breed he what or how old he was. The vet and I guessed him to be at about 4 weeks when we got him. That would put him at about 5 months now.:D

He is potty trained... the problem we are having is we have a sliding glass door that leads to the yard... the door goes to the deck and then 3 steps down to the yard... at first he was too little to get down or back up the steps... so we would have to carry him down to the yard. Then he got big enough to do the steps on his own... recently though we have run into some problems.

He starting pooing and peeing on the deck. I hosed off the deck and that stopped him pooing there... but now what he does is goes out and when I close the sliding door he lifts his leg and pees RIGHT ON THE DOOR... not by the door, or near the door, ON IT!! :eek: It leaks into the tracks of the door and starts to smell in the house... I have hosed the door and cleaned the tracks and even sprayed the puppy trainer "stay off" spray on the door... but we can't break him!!

Does anyone have any ideas?? :confused:
    gerardymolawd Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
    You can buy this spray at any major pet store which has a scent that stops dogs frm peeing in the area that you spray it on... after a while the dog leaves this spot alone and finds sumwhere else to do his business... I can't remember the name but it is better than the product you used which I also tried at first
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 08:16 PM
    If you have not neutered him, now may be the time to call the vet. He may be marking his territory. Also he may be a little bit older than you all thought.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
    He hasn't been neutered? Now that your puppy's testicles have descended, he is a big boy and is letting everyone know it. Talk to the vet about when would be the best time. In addition, he needs strong leadership.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

The spray may or may not help in that specific case, but you still need to neuter him and give him leadership for other times.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Thanks! Yeah we haven't had him neutered yet... we have been talking about it for weeks but its been hectic because my daughter is starting kindergarten next week so I haven't had the undivided time to take him. And we weren't sure how old he is... I'm sure now he is probably the age to have it done.

I didn't even think about him marking his territory!! Thanks! It wouldn't be that bad if he would mark his territory somewhere else but the door!

So will simply getting him neutered stop it? Or are there other steps I need to take with him once he gets home?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:12 AM
    As I mentioned, leadership.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

What should I do about a dog next door ? [ 11 Answers ]

Okayy so these people that live next door to me have a dog that's maybe 6 weeks old. I'm pretty shure they got it when it was 2 weeks for watever reason. But I have never see this dog in the back yard && I know its always in the garage in a crate. With there past dogs, they have always been mean...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

View more questions Search