Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Aug 23, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Menstrual cramping and spotting
    I'll be 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow and 4 days ago I was having menstrual cramping until the next day and also had some spotting.. so I went to my clinic and they said everything was normal.. and that my baby is at 0 station now(Im in so much pain!) but I haven't effaced or dialated.. does this mean labor might be within the next few days?
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Aug 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Unfortunately you just never know when labor will begin. It sounds like you are getting ready, but like I said, you never know. There are some women who walk around dialated to 2 or 3 for weeks, they lose their mucous plug and it still comes in it's own time. Don't want to disappoint you, but you don't want to get your hopes up too high and nothing happen. You've come this far, only a little bit more to go! I've still got 3 months! Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or progression.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Aug 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
    It sounds like you are getting close. Keep an eye on the pain and if the so claled cramping keeps coming and going they could be contractions people can go from 0 to 10 in no time depending on your body.

Aug 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalbivens
    It sounds like you are getting close. Keep an eye on the pain and if the so claled cramping keeps coming and going they could be contractions people can go from 0 to 10 in no time depending on your body.
    Yeah I have a friend that told me her contractions started as menstrual cramping and that soon a couple hours later she was in labor, well hopefully he will be here soon!

Aug 23, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Both of my children came at 38 weeks and both times it felt like cramping.
    Good luck to you and if you need someone to help you through it we're here.

Aug 24, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Oh really.. hehe Im getting anxious.. thank you
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I would say it is probably some form of contractions that you are feeling... but these could still be Braxton Hicks, and not actual contractions... either way, you are getting very close, and you should stay alert. I had contractions all day, and then they stopped... went into labor that night... but I know other women, who had the baby drop, and contractions for weeks before delivery... everyone is different... is this your first?
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
    This last time, I did no dilating, and he was still at -2 station, right up to my due date. Went into the doc that morning at 9, he schedualed me for induction for two days later, then said not to be surprised if I went into labor that night, because it was a full moon that night. I laughed it off, because there was no sign that I would be going into labor any time soon, on my own.(minus some cramps I had been having, but I had those for two weeks). I was in the hospital that night by 11:30 almost 5 cent. Dilated, and going strong.he was born at 11:30 the next morning. I had lost my mucus plug twice.(thats right, it can regenerate. The first time was a month before I was due. The second time was the morning before I was in labor.)these cramps were annoying, like menstrual cramps, and progressively got worse, until I had to stop what I was doing and just breath. So, watch the timing, watch the pain level, and go in at the doctor appointed time, or before if you really feel its time. If baby is already at 0 station, it shouldn't be too far down the road.

Aug 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Yes this is my first baby.. yeah its pretty much just a waiting game now huh.. I'm so anxious like every little pain I feel I'm like could this be it?. but at the same time I have a feeling he might just not be here until his 40 weeks are up.. but who knows.. I have an appoinment next Friday so I'll see what the doctor says.. what do you guys think about an epidural?. because I don't want to get one but everyone says I should.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 03:58 PM
    This could also be a sign of dehydration. Please contact your doctor as soon as possible

I would like it, if you could, to describe the pain. Where it is, how it starts, intensity on a scale of 1 - 10, etc.

I had an epidural with my first 2 and natural with my last 2. It is a total and complete individual decision.

Aug 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Yeah but I was drinking a lot of water because I heard that also.. but the cramps were still lasting all day and night... it started as light menstrual cramps and it got a little more intense when I would lay down.. the next day I woke up and they started again a little bit stronger from the day before so that's when I went to my clinic and they told me the baby was at 0 station and that everything was normal.. the cramps would come and go like 10-15 minutes. Does it hurt a lot more when you have a natural birth then to having an epidural?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Tell me where it hurts, does it start in the back and go around to the front? Around the naval area? I need very detailed specifics.

An epidural, for most women but not all, completely removes the pain, but can make it harder to push when the time comes.

For me, natural birth was with my last 2 children. I felt virtually no pain whatsoever, and I am a baby when it comes to pain. But remember, these were my 3rd and 4th kids, my body was used to it.

What I usually suggest is that you sign the consent for an epidural, as it is a sterile procedure it requires a consent to be signed, if you need it your ready, if you don't then fine, but at least you have your bases covered.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Yeah. Better to prepare for the possibilities. That way if you change your mind, its readily available. If you decide not to use it, you don't have to. If you get the epidural in time, and the person giving it does well, it is like blissful heaven. HAH. I say this because the first one I got, I didn't get it in time, so I was left with the front of my tummy numb, but everything else not at all. The second time around, it worked perfectly, I was able to relax and labor went by much more quick. Typically they will start to ease off on the dosage of the epi, so that as it gets closer to time for you to push, you will be able to have more sensation in the area you need, in order to be successful in your pushing, yet still have enough relief that the pain isn't as intense.in the end it is a personal decision, and until you are in labor, you won't be able to know for sure what that decision will be. Good luck, let us know when baby comes

Aug 25, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Oh OK I didn't know you had to sign a consent for that I thought you just let them know if you want it.. yeah I'm not sure yet, but I guess I will sign the consent just in case,does it make it harder to push because it makes you feel extra relaxed?. well the pain is pretty much in the front area like menstrual cramps it didn't go around to my back though.. it was mainly in the front.. but I haven't had any pain since those 2 days..
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 09:05 PM
    I think that it depends on the hospital, as far as consent forms, and when you need to sign them. They asked me if I wanted one, and I said yes, then they gave me the papers to fill out. It was a bit more inconvenient as I was in the middle of labor and it was a bit difficult to stop shaking/contracting long enough to write my name hah. However, some hospitals have you sign it ahead of time when you pre-register. You will have to sign one at one point before you get the epidural, it just depends on when.

Aug 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I'm a big baby when it comes to pain, so I will probably end up getting the epidural. I figure I will sign the consent and see how much I can handle. It makes pushing difficult because you can't feel your lower half to actually push. That is why most places are now lessening the medication or shutting it off completely when it comes time to push. Did you take a birthing class? They should have went over all the info on epi's at that time. Since you are 38 weeks I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about it so you can be better educated for when the time comes to make the decision. Remember that it is your body and your birth. No one can decide for you what is best. If you feel that you don't need it, don't get it. They have other meds they can give you to take the edge off the pain. Epidurals numb you from the waist down. Again, do your homework and know all the facts, good and bad. Hope you go into labor soon, and that it doesn't last too long! Let us know.

Aug 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
    No I didn't take a birthing class.. Yeah I really don't want it because I have read all the risks and everything on an epidural and I also heard what you said about "making it harder to push" because you can't really feel anything from the waiste down.. and I've always wanted to be able to say I had an all natural birth hehe.. but we'll see I guess.. it does all depend on the moment.. when are you due automansgirl?

Aug 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
    It's a personal decision for the woman with both of mine I had one, with my first I had an emergency c section and with my second I tried going without one but I gave in and when I did it made me dialiate more because my body was relaxed but they turned it down so I was able to tell when it was time to push.
    I have to say it was better without the pain, and when it's time for this baby to come I'm all aboard again.
    Good luck MAr Mar you'll make the decision that's right for you when the time comes.

Aug 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I'm due November 30. With any luck he'll come before Thanksgiving. I still doubt whether I will have an epidural or not. The risks scare me, but I think the pain of pushing out a baby scares me even more! Lol! I have so many other worries that an epidural is the last one right about now. Have you had any more pains that might suggest labor?

Aug 27, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Oh true, so your getting closer.. so we're on the same boat with the whole epidural issue huh lol.. I feel the same way.. don't worry you will be fine.. I think every little thing worried me throughout my whole pregnancy lol I always called my clinic and asked them all kinds of questions.. No recently I haven't actually I'm just very uncomfortable and I can feel the baby move around more and he puts a lot of pressure on some nerves and my organs and stuff like the other night I had this sharp pain in my back and in my stomach I had to sit up in my bed and I figured out that his foot was like pressing on a nerve or something I had to push on his foot so he can move and as soon as he did the pain stopped lol.. but it was a horrible pain.. it woke me out of my sleep but I knew it wasn't labor pains because it wasn't in my lower belly. Have you had a good pregnancy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light, Mild Menstrual Like Cramping.But No Blood Showing! [ 42 Answers ]

Hey My question I'm having light mild menstrual like cramping.. (mostly on one side) yet I have not seen any blood yet... I'm 26 years old and when I usually get my period I have heavy cramps for a day but I also bleed at the same time... I have been trying to get pregnant... So what do you think?...

Cramping after sex [ 12 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend two nights ago and I woke up the next day ith cramping, similar to menstral cramps, and heaey discharge. Like more than normal and more than usually have during sex. He did pull out before he orgasmed so I'm not sure what's going on. Also its day two and...

Cramping and no period [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a baby about 2 months ago I missed my period this month but I've been getting light cramps I took a pregnancy test 2 and its negative not sure wats wrong :confused:

Cramping with Menses [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me the cause for cramping with Menses?

Mild Cramping and spotting when I wipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 weeks and 5days pregnant and I have been spotting for about a week. I have had mild cramping but nothing major and the spotting is only when I go to the bathroom and wipe. It is mostly light brown to light pink. I have had some red but it was very little. I have not had clots or heavy...

View more questions Search