Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Aug 23, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Curser won't move to safemode on startup
    Hi all, I want to do some "housework" on the PC . I have done what I can and want to do some more in safe mode. I have made several attempts but the curser won't budge from normal mode up to safe mode. This has only been a problem for the past couple of days. Anyone got any ideas why. Thanks
    Richard
    WadeG Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cornedbeef
    Hi all, I want to do some "housework" on the pc . I have done what I can and want to do some more in safe mode. I have made several attempts but the curser won't budge from normal mode up to safe mode. This has only been a problem for the past couple of days. Anyone got any ideas why. Thanks
    Richard
    Try a different Keyboard? PS2 is the safe bet.
    That's all I have at the moment.
    I will check back with more info in 15 minutes.
    redneck412000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Try Using The Up And Down Arrow Keys. That's How Mine Works. Good Luck!

Sep 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
    I normally do that anyway as you are suppose to but that doesn't work. Thanks for posting though. Richard.
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2007, 04:49 AM
    What operating system are you using?

If your using Windows, what are you using to switch to safe mode? Because the only way I know how to switch to safe mode is by pressing F8 before windows starts and selecting "Start in safe mode". The options given can only be used with the arrow keys and not a mouse.

Little more detail and I might be able to give more help Richard. :)

Regards,
    Sebastien

Sep 6, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Thanks Sebastien, yes that is what I do. I have always used f8 and up/down keys. The thing I find frustrating is the fact I have always done this before with no problem. As I say I can get onto the screen with the various options on, but I can't shift the curser from normal mode upwards to safe mode using the arrow keys. Cheers Richard

Sep 6, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Sorry Sebastien, I forgot to mention I use windows xp pro.

Sep 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
    OH!! I understand now lol, I thought you were talking about your mouse cursor! My bad lol

Richard, are you using a wireless keyboard?

Sep 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Hi, sorry about the delay in answering. It is a Advent corded keyboard. This is a replacement for an identical one I had before. This replacement due to my step daughter giving the old one a large drink of coke! Cheers Richard
    Souljavu Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2007, 07:34 PM
    I am having the same problem now! What a coincidence.. hope someone answers this :/

Sep 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Hi Richard,

Sorry for the wait, my internet bombed out. (This country is useless I swear, can't wait to return home to UK lol!)

Anyway, give this a try:

1. Go to your nearest computer store and ask for a motherboard battery, it looks a lot like a watch battery only a little flatter and bigger.

2. Open up your PC case and look for the battery on your motherboard, you will need a pen or something to unclip the battery (its a little silver clip on the side - the battery should just pop out).

3. Replace the battery with your new one.

Give that a go, if it doesn't work take the computer to your nearest techie (ie: nearest repair store) and ask them to have alook.

I can't find anything on the 'net apart from that solution I just mentioned.
    It's possible that the motherboard isn't detecting the keyboard* when you enter the Windows Boot Menu.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Sebastien

Sep 24, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Hi Sebastien,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I Have a mate who will replace the battery for me because I am too ham fisted to attempt it myself. Again thank you and good luck on your return to the UK.
    Cheers Richard
    Souljavu Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Hey man! GOOD NEWS! :D I found it, first when you start the PC, get to the BIOS settings there is a feature to enable USB keyboard in the advance settings, it could be something like "USB legacy support" and enable it or choose BIOS is its on OS either one of the two choices it depends on your mobo brand, good luck dude !:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safemode problems [ 10 Answers ]

I don't know where to start. My computer was running fine, and then I rebooted in Safemode to check something out. Anyway, now I can't get my computer to start in anything BUT Safemode, and it always comes up with the same message, "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Startup.. [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Yes guys need help... I can't stop a folder from opening when the windows startup... but this folder isn't like this before... I wonder why...

Startup [ 5 Answers ]

It Takes 3 Minutes For My Computer To Start Up. I Believe It's Because I Have Too Many Start-ups In The Bottom Right Of My Screen. How Do I Know Which Of These I Can Remove,and How Do I Remove Them??

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search