Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scapps0004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
    My roommate abruptly moved out and stuck me with the house
    Both me and my boyfriend signed a TWO YEAR lease for our townhome. There is still about 14 months remaining on the lease and he has abruptly moved out in the middle of this month and is now ignoring my phone calls, emails, letters and text messages. I would like to stay at the house, but can't afford it by myself. It's really not a suitable set up for another roommate that wouldn't be sharing the master bedroom with me. What are my ex boyfriends responsibilities to me/the landlord? To my knowledge, my ex has not even notified the landlord of his leaving. At first, it was a temporary separation but now that I'm not receiving responses to my contact efforts, I'm going on the assumption it's permanent.

Is he liable for the terms of the lease? Will he have to pay me for his half of the rent even if he doesn't live here? If so, for how long? What can I do if he refuses to pay?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Legally, he is just as responsible for the lease as you are. His choice not to live there has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately, unless the lease specifically states somehow that you are each responsible for half of the rent it's not like you can just pay your portion and expect them to go after him for the other half and leave you out of it. You're BOTH responsible for making sure that ALL of it gets paid.

If I were you I'd schedule a meeting with the landlord to go over the situation and find out what all of your options are and what will happen when you can only pay half of the September rent. Before the meeting become thoroughly acquainted with your lease and read your state's landlord/tenant laws. You can find a link to them in the first post in this forum.

Good luck,
    Karla in TX
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Aug 23, 2007, 08:39 PM
    At this point you are both liable for the monthly rent, until the lease ends or you sublet the property. Or turn the property back to the landlord to rerent. You will be obligated to pay for any month up until the landlord can get the property re-rented. You will also be obligated to pay the utilities and advertising costs and any damages done while you occupied the space. Let your landlord know he moved out. Let him know that you are going to advertise in the newspaper to find a new tenant. He should provide you will applications. He would also be the one giving the final approval. Keep track of all your expenses. Once a new tenant is in the apartment and you are safely in a smaller less expensive one, gather all you expenses to gether and file a small claims case against your room mate, in hope of regaining half of all your expenses. Find out what the landlord intends to do with the security deposit. Make sure it doesn't go back to the roommate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer keeps coming unblanced after we moved to our new house [ 5 Answers ]

I have a top loader Kenmore washer that during the sping cycle it keeps coming unbalanced and rattling real bad.. Ive tried leveling it but it keeps doing it its less than a year old any suggestions? Appreciated, Dustin Jobe

Getting a Roommate Out of My House [ 3 Answers ]

I'm too nice. I've had a person living off me for 10 years. At first she was nursing a sick friend. I had cancer and she nursed me too, that was for two years, 7 years later she is still here. She doesn't have a job, friends, money. She has OCD and getting progressively worse. She's running...

New house settle, wall moved 5/8" so far? [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a new house from a builder that is now 5 months old. The exterior wall that my kitchen cabinets are connected to has now Bowed outward so that my countertop is now over 5/8" away from the wall. There is also a large crack in the corner where the bowed wall and the perpendicular...

Moved to a house & now scared HELP [ 19 Answers ]

We bought a 7yr. Old house about a 2mths. Ago. The 1st few nights we stayed here there was no air, so we stayed in the downstairs bedroom that was to be my 14yr sons room.(its half under ground). He was in FL. I had horrible nightmares, I put a cross & a picture of Jesus,1 of my Bibles in...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search