Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnsontm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
    NJ: Breaking a rental lease.
    Good morning,
    My son and his wife (newlyweds) reside in an apartment complex in Blackwood NJ. They signed a year lease Dec 2006. Recently, my son was selected for a new job in North Carolina. They were told that to break the lease they would have to pay (2) months rent $1500.00 and lose their security deposit $1000.00.
    They understand there is a penalty for breaking the lease. However, paying (2) months rent AND losing their security deposit seems a bit much to them. They could understand one or the other.
    They want to do the right thing which is fair for both parties.
    Please advise.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Well, legally, if that's what the lease states that they signed when they moved in the landlord can charge that. Double check the link to NJ's landlord/tenant laws in the first post in this forum to make sure what the law actually states.

What you're describing is actaully fairly typical. I know it seems like a lot from the tenant's perspective, but from the landlord's perspective it's a big, expensive inconvenience to have units turning over every 8 or 9 months. Has your son checked with the employer to see if the fees can be part of his relocation package? That, also is a fairly common practice. Employers expect people to incur such expenses when they're relocating.

If they are required to pay 2 months rent and the unit rents faster than that (ask a neighbor to keep them informed) the landlord should refund that pro-rated amount of rent. However a lot of landlord's will attempt to get around this by having the tenant sign a lease termination and it just so happens that the "lease termination fee" is exactly equal to 2 months rent. Then it's no longer considered rent and the landlord wouldn't be "double dipping".

Hope that helps.
    Karla in TX

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking Lease on Rental Home Ref Handicap Issue [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother has been in a wheelchair for 4 years. We signed a contract to rent a house starting October 15th of 2006. We negotiated an addendum to the lease contract where the landlord agreed to install entry & exit ramps for my Mother's motorized wheelchair. We were not in the same town as the...

Breaking rental lease for medical reasons in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was recently diagnosed with cancer and wants to be near his family in Key West, Fl. Our landlord in St. Petersburg said we will loose our security and have to pay our rent until the lease is over in July if we give 30 days notice. This is stated in the lease, however isn't there anyway...

Breaking a rental lease [ 4 Answers ]

My partner and I relocated to Florida two months ago for him to take a new job. When we arrived the job never took place. We both have not been able to find work in Florida and in the meantime his old boss offered him his job back. He accepted because he couldn't find work here in Florida. We...

Breaking rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a 1 year lease in August they have since become pregnant the house is very small 1 bedroom no room at all for a baby and all of the items needed to care for one not even room in this apartment for a kitchen table let alone a crib for baby or any other...

Breaking my rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am breaking my rental lease because I can't afford the rent and my landlord does not want to what can I do

View more questions Search