Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetblood_15 Posts: 71, Reputation: 4

Aug 23, 2007, 01:40 PM
    What they had, went up in flames
    My aunt has a really bad drinking problem and she just had a fire in her house this week that destroyed EVERYTHING... I think she's going to try and commit suicide again because of all her problems and now she has no home and already owes a lot in debt from her husband buying really expensive stuff like Quads and atv's... I really love her and can't stand to see her like this especially when she has 3 awesome kids that I adore... she was drinking today on the way to the store to replace the kids clothes that burned in the fire... apparently she has a bottle hidden in her van and has been drinking whenever she's alone... what should I try and do? I really want to help her and especially her kids!
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 05:15 AM
    All you can do is talk to her try to get her to see what she is doing to herself and her kids. Try to get her to see a doctor, offer to go with her.

In the end everyone has their problems and their might be more going on with your aunt than you know. She may need professional help.

Don't beat yourself up. You can only do so much.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 25, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetblood_15
    ...i really love her and can't stand to see her like this especially when she has 3 awesome kids that i adore..... i really want to help her and especially her kids!
    Tell her exactly what you wrote here.. that you adore her and want to help her and the kids, and that you fear that she might have a 'drinking' problem.

She can scold you and deny her problem, but it will get her to think.

You can offer her your help, dear, but in the end it is her choice to make.

I hope, for all of you, that she makes the right choice.

Keep us posted.

Aug 28, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Yea... she just rented a house for the next five months while her house gets restored from the fire and people were murdered in there so if she finds out she's going to flip out... not good... I'll try to tell her and offer to go with her... her work told her to take two weeks off so that's good :)
    jackie223 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Aug 29, 2007, 07:11 AM
    YOU need to tell your aunt she don't have it so bad, if she is able to rent a home while her other home gets restored and her work is understanding and giving her 2 weeks off then she has it pretty good, have her walk though the cities where there are homeless families because they can't afford to get a place after thiers got destroyed. Drinking and driving? Does she do with her kids in the car? Even if she doesn't what about the people that are driving on the same road as her? You need to tell someone about that, you need to let her know that you are there for her but you will not allow her to put the kids in danger or anyoneeles for that matter
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Your Aunt is an alcoholic. All you can do is talk to her about BUT if she will not admit that her drinking is her a problem she will never get help. I would think that this fire would be a wake up call for her to get sober and get help.

When someone has an addiction the only thing that matters to them in this world is that addiction. Its not your job to rescue her out of it she has to rescue herself from the situation. If someone does not want to hear that they have a problem and if they do not want to get better they won't. It sounds as if your Aunt needs counseling to get better. Again if she doesn't think there is a problem she will not go.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE do not get in the car with her ever again. She is driving while drunk which could potentially kill you if she has an accident.

Are your parents in the picture here? Is there another family member you can talk to about your concerns?

Sep 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Your Aunt is an alcoholic. All you can do is talk to her about BUT if she will not admit that her drinking is her a problem she will never get help. I would think that this fire would be a wake up call for her to get sober and get help.

When someone has an addiction the only thing that matters to them in this world is that addiction. Its not your job to rescue her out of it she has to rescue herself from the situation. If someone does not want to hear that they have a problem and if they do not want to get better they won't. It sounds as if your Aunt needs counseling to get better. Again if she doesn't think there is a problem she will not go.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE do not get in the car with her ever again. She is driving while drunk which could potentially kill you if she has an accident.

Are your parents in the picture here? Is there another family member you can talk to about your concerns?

Alrigth... just an update for everyone, she got a really nice house and she is feeling better... she needs someone to watch the kids after school while she is at a therapist so I think it's deffinately getting better... I can just hope that she can do better and keep it up...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater flames turn on and off [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Day & Night home forced air heater apx 30 years old. Model U-19A. Recently, when the unit is turned on, the pilot light ignites the flames, but they only burn for a few seconds, then shut off. Then they light up again, then shut off. Sometimes they stay on for a period, but most times just...

How to fan the flames for at least a few sparks [ 3 Answers ]

Been in a relationship for, say, 3.5 years - cohabitation, marriage, baby, all on top of each other (but at least not at the same time). Plus several job/career changes for both. How do we keep it together? He's my best friend but he's drifting away. He spends his free time doing stuff,...

NG furnace flames out each restart [ 1 Answers ]

100K BTU ng,Honeywell 1982 furnace. New filters, good intake(I think). Has worked fine until last 2.5 weeks. Pilot light is fine, main gas ignites and will stay lit for about 20 seconds. The honeywell hi/lo limit switch clock turns to main fan, sometimes it will reach the fan on temp, but...

Old Flame.. Or Two Flames [ 5 Answers ]

It's weird that one night could change what I think... just in 4 hours... Last night, I called one of my exs, Josh, where he gave me confindence to break up with David because I wasn't happy. Today would've been a month, too. When I broke up with David, David said, "I gotta go, my friend's one...

View more questions Search