Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spacefire5458 Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Trisect an angle
    How do I trisect an angle using only a straightedge and a compass?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Okay, lets say you've got angle abc.
    I *think* that if you put the point of the compass on the vertex (b)and draw with it from one point (a) to the other(c), then put the point on (a) and the pencil on the vertex (b) and draw out toward the circle you made before, and then the point on (c) and the pencil on the vertex (b) and draw out toward the circle again, the places where the circle meets *should* be where the line go that trisect the angle.

This could very well be wrong, though. I don't remember too much from my days of geometry... that was about 7 years ago.
    spacefire5458 Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 12:41 PM
    That's how you bisect an angle not trisect it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
    You can't trisect an arbitrary angle using just an unmarked straightedge and compasses. It's a famous result and has been proved to be impossible.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Dang. Well, I remembered doing Something like that to an angle with finding where circles intersected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zero Launch Angle [ 1 Answers ]

A diver runs horizontally off the end of a diving board with an initial speed of 1.75m/s. If the diving board is 3m above the water, what is the diver's speed just before he enters the water? When I worked out this problem, I came up with an answer of 7.67m/s. The answer at the back of the...

Critical Angle [ 2 Answers ]

To day I have new subject it is about mirrors and lenses. If light traviling in optecaly denser meduim and has an angle of incidence exceeding the Critical angle it experiences Total internal reflection, and no light emeges on the far side of the interface. Position the ray so that the angle of...

Projectile - what angle? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a question on projectiles, but I am unsure what formula I need to use to calculate the required angle. A projectile leaves the nozzle at 14 m/s, at what angle should the nozzle be so that it hits the nearest edge at the top of a wall 0.7m high with a horizontal distance oy...

Angle stop [ 3 Answers ]

What is a standard 1/2" compression angle stop? I am installing a sink faucet supply line

View more questions Search