Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 11:45 AM
    One PC different Networks
    Hi I have a few pcs that need to connect to two different networks. I assume that I will need two nic cards with ip addresses on both networks, I'm just not sure how the configuration should be setup to have the cards communicate. Looking for a document or help on this. Thanks. PCs running w2k and XP
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
    I know you can do this in windows server 2003, and I *think* you can do it in XP.

If you go into the properties of the connection, and then the properties of the TCP/IP protocol, set up the IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS server to be on one of the networks. Then, click Advanced, and under the first tab, where it says IP addresses, you can add more. If you add an IP and subnet mask that is in the second network on every client, you *should* be able to use it on both networks. It's sort of like a virtual NIC. Note that this only works if there are two networks, and they are on the same PHYSICAL network (like both connected to the same switch)

Otherwise, you could put a router between the two networks. The router would need to have a physical connection to each network. Then, if you set it as the default gateway for both networks, it would just pass anything that was supposed to cross over into the other one to the correct side. If you then set the default gateway of the ROUTER (not any of the PC's, but the actual router's IP configuration) to that of your firewall/modem/whatever you use, they could both access the internet too.

And yes, your other suggestion would also work, with two NIC cards in each computer, but that's gets a little expensive.
    steve55121 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyan
    Hi I have a few pcs that need to connect to two different networks. I assume that i will need two nic cards with ip addresses on both networks, I'm just not sure how the configuration should be setup to have the cards communicate. Looking for a document or help on this. Thanks. PCs running w2k and XP
    Hello,

It's going to depend on these networks. Are they completely separated? You should be able to do this without adding separate network cards in your PC's. It's going to depends on what type of network gear you have besides your PC'S / Servers. This can be done with switches and routes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Networks [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a wireless network in my house for several months, and although there have been some minor problems, there has been nothing I can't handle. But recently, it's all gone pear-shaped! My computer can connect to my router, with no problems, and using the Belkin Wireless Monitor, I could...

Connecting two networks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect two existing networks together. Currently there is a main network that has 15 computers and 2 servers with a high speed internet connection and static IPs. Second network has 6 computers and 1 server also with high speed internet and static IP. Currently second network connects...

2 Networks 1 PC [ 13 Answers ]

Hi - I'm wanting to connect my girlfriend's laptop to my home network (so we can share files and she can access my printer) but this is already configured to be on her company network. Is there an easy way for me to configure her laptop so she can access my network when at home (as well as work...

Networks [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my two pc's to hook up so I can share files between the two?

Computer networks [ 2 Answers ]

How do we send message in a lan network in NT operating system using dos prompt?

View more questions Search