Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwbrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Toilet Floor Flange Screws loose and will not tighten
    I had a leaking toilet wax seal. Pulled the toilet off cleaned all old wax. I noticed while cleaning wax off that two of the screws securing the floor flange to the subfloor (vinyl covering over a wood substrate) were loose and will not tighten up. I was told that perhaps the when they roughed it in that cut the hole too big and those 2 screws missed. I was told to try longer scews and or use and block of wood underneath to secure them too. If I pry on it with a screw driver it will move... but does not moved around freely by hand. Should this be something that sholuld be corrected before replaced the wax ring... also it appears that the floor flange is glued to the waste pipe. And the pipe moves slifhtly when prying on it. Any help appreciated for a new homeowner
    kwbrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown
    I had a leaking toilet wax seal. Pulled the toilet off cleaned all old wax. I noticed while cleaning wax off that two of the screws securing the floor flange to the subfloor (vinyl covering over a wood substrate) were loose and will not tighten up. I was told that perhaps the when they roughed it in that cut the hole too big and those 2 screws missed. I was told to try longer scews and or use and block of wood underneath to secure them too. If i pry on it with a screw driver it will move....but does not moved around freely by hand. Should this be something that sholuld be corrected before replaced the wax ring....also it appears that the floor flange is glued to the waste pipe. and the pipe moves slifhtly when prying on it. Any help appreciated for a new homeowner
    I got it fixed, Went to local hardware store and found some longer and slightly bigger screws. I run them in and they tightened up with no problems. Installed my new toilet and wax ring. And no leaks. No smells all is good... thanks to anyone who was thinking about replying

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tighten loose chair legs [ 5 Answers ]

I have a vintage (not sure if it qualifies as antique yet) Duncan Phyfe diningroom set I inherited from my mom. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it. I found an older gentleman who knew how to restore it. It looked beautiful when it was finished but now after a few years, all the chair legs are...

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Toilet flange above the floor line [ 1 Answers ]

We recently installed a new toilet after we remodeled the bathroom. The new flooring is approximately 1/2' lower than the original floor, thus leaving the toilet bowl flange sticking up. Are there "spacers" in the form of a porcelain plate to match the toilet that will allow the toilet bowl to be...

Replacing toilet floor flange [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing my toilet and found that my flange was rusted so much that I couldn't get the flange bolt on one side to lock into the flange so I must replace the flange. It's made of metal with ABS and obviously is glued into the ABS sewer pipe riser. I'm assuming that I need to get underneath...

Toilet flange below the floor level- URGENT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I just quickly reviewed all postings here trying to see if I can find an anwer to my question, but some things are too difficult for me to understand, as I am not familiar with the whole subject. I hired a plumber to install a new toilet in half a bath in the basement. The old toilet...

View more questions Search