Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annieg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
    how to find a hobby
    how does one find a hobby when they are a perfectionist. I really enjoy painting and decorating my home, HOWEVER, my painting is not perfect and the my color choices are not the best. How do I follow my instinct without affecting resale or judgement? Here is an example. I live in the midwest and our home is less than 2 years old... we did not have the choice of the trim, woodwork or the windows, etc but loved the look when we bought it. I want and have changed some of the trim and window molding to white. The problem (for everyone but me) is that the trim and window molding is oak and I am being told I am ruinging the value of my home. Okay... perfectionist, being criticized for not only a bad decision but causing damange... HELP!!
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Aug 22, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Question is --- to whose values are you directing your talents? If you bought the house, only to sell it quickly then you should watch the changes you do to the house. But if you bought the house to keep and live in for yourself, then decorate it to your hearts content. You are the one that will be living there so suit yourself as to your likes and needs. The paint on the molding can be removed if needed in the future or if needed can be replaced with new molding. Enjoy your house. Ace
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 08:10 PM
    You're also having trouble letting go and have become a checker. You decorate and paint, check your work, consciously or unconsciously decide the changes are no good for some unrealistic reason, so you do it all over again. Paint and decorate and then let it go - enjoy it - live with it for, say, a year before you make more changes.

Your perfectionism is part of an OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). I too am a perfectionist. I catalog library books for a career and do hard crossword puzzles in ink for fun. I don't dare become a checker and re-doer because then I would go crazy. Know when to quit with the perfectionism stuff.
    annieg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace High
    Question is --- to whose values are you directing your talents?? If you bought the house, only to sell it quickly then you should watch the changes you do to the house. But if you bought the house to keep and live in for yourself, then decorate it to your hearts content. You are the one that will be living there so suit yourself as to your likes and needs. The paint on the molding can be removed if needed in the future or if needed can be replaced with new molding. Enjoy your house. Ace
    Thank you for your supportive and insightful answer. Your right I should live to my hearts content, but as a perfectionist your always looking for the next comment (husband, mom, children, etc) that makes you feel like you've made a huge mistake... I will keep the positive thoughts.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Hobbies don't need to be expensive. Make a list of what you like and choose from. It spring here and I'm going to start a new garden as a hobby.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 10:32 PM
    OAK = no maintenance. PAINT = maintenance. Picture yourself older. Now decide.

Example Hobby for a perfectionist: John Allen LeBlanc - Amazing Wooden Replicas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a hobby [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to find a hobby. I have never really had any hobbies in my adult life and I am now trying to find one. I don't know how to even start. I am looking for any help on how to find something that interests me.

In need of a hobby [ 5 Answers ]

I need a hobby. My dad won't let me watch television until I get a hobby.:(

How to find the right hobby. [ 5 Answers ]

It may seem odd, but I seem to be stuck at this point in my life. But, here I am. I am married, with children and I also attend the University part time. It seems like most of my life centers around responsibilities. I gotten so involved in taking care of my kids, my house, my husband and school...

How to help someone find a hobby? [ 25 Answers ]

I'd like to help my girlfriend find herself a hobby. We've talked about it, I asked her to explain to me what makes her happy in her life, and I've come to a conclusion that the only hobby she's really interested in is watching television. Now I know that's, first of all, not healthy. She can...

About my hobby [ 4 Answers ]

Am trying to find a hobby. I have never really had any hobbies in my adult life and I am now trying to find one. I don't know how to even start. I am looking for any help on how to find something that interests me.

View more questions Search