Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwb5897 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 04:45 PM
    x-roommate asking for money
    My Ex-roommate is stating that I still owe her for utility bills that were in her name. She recently moved out, and spent her last 2 months in the apartment rent-free (I covered her share). I also put out $ for all other expenses in the household - any necessities and food shopping. She is asking me to send HER a check for $700 so she can pay the utility bills. If she decides to take this matter to court - how strong is her case?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 08:09 PM
    What agreements did the two of you have in writing and what verbal agreements did the two of you have?

I'm guessing the payment of utilities was a verbal agreement. If she takes you to court and can show that you had been paying a share and then stopped and/or if you admit that you had a verbal agreement to split them she can probably get a judgement against you. That being said, you would have the same scenario in place allowing you to counter-sue her for the rent and other expenses. I'm guessing that amounts to more money? So she'd basically wind up owing you?

If you're satisfied with her not paying what she owes you send her a letter stating that you'll be happy to pay her for your portion of the utilities just as soon as you receive her payment for everything she owes you, and include a detailed accounting of it all. I would think that would shut her up in a hurry. Otherwise just wait her out and let her sue. She'll be sorry that she drug YOU into court when you file your counter suit.

Karla in TX
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 22, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb5897
    My Ex-roommate is stating that I still owe her for utility bills that were in her name. She recently moved out, and spent her last 2 months in the apartment rent-free (I covered her share). I also put out $ for all other expenses in the household - any necessities and food shopping. She is asking me to send HER a check for $700 so she can pay the utility bills. If she decides to take this matter to court - how strong is her case?
    Unless she goes to small claims, lawyers fees are around 150/hr and up and usually require a retainer. If she is trying to hum money from you, I doubt she can pony up for a lawyer.
    Do your best Adult: we had a business arrangement, which you did not honor. I doubt the legal system would be sympathetic for any of your claims. However, if you think you can afford to go to trial, have your lawyer contact me.

And sever any and all contact with her as she has proven that she really isn't your friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

What artist sings "money money money" [ 5 Answers ]

I can't find the song "money money money" listed anywhere.(I think that's what the title is) I don't know the artist.

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

View more questions Search