Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gov05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 03:07 PM
    No power
    Please help me!
    I was changing a light bulb on my kitchen ceiling light.
    The type that has (3) flood lights pointed in different directions.
    After I replaced the bulb, I went to adjust the direction of the lights and the lights flickered when I did this. I paid no attention to it and contiued on.
    I heard a slight pop and the lights shut off.
    I figured a wire had come loose, so I pulled the fixture off the ceiling and checked the connections. They were still connected, so I then figured the circuit must have blown. I went to the stairs and hit the light switch to go downstairs and that light also didn't work!!
    So now I knew I blew the circuit!
    I went to the circuit board and nothing was popped?
    I turned them all off and on anyway, just to be sure.
    I still don't have any power to these to lights and need to get it working.
    What is causing my problem?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2005, 03:21 PM
    I hate when a simple job turns into a nightmare. The confusing part is that you did exactly what should be done, turn off and on each circuit breaker. The possibilities are endless as to the problem. I need to ask you to turn off each breaker again, insuring that you firmly turn each off, and then back on, noting that one may trip in your hand.

Are the breakers labeled as to the circuit or area it covers? This would narrow down all the breakers to the one for this lighting circuit. If not, when you get this problem repaired, I recommend that this be your next project, as now you can see the benefit of having the breakers labeled properly.

There is a slim chance the main breaker is the culprit, unlikly, but will not hurt to turn this one off and on.

Where did you hear the pop come from? I suspect the wires inside the fixture is where the short is. Also, just occurred to me, make sure all lighting switches are in the off position to help narrow down the short, before resetting the breakers.

I think the short still exists in the fixture and the switch for the light is on, and when you reset the breakers, one still detects the short and is tripping as you reset them and you may not be noticing.

Another thing you can do is to disconnect the fixture wires from the outlet box, to be sure if the short is in the fixture you have cleared the fixture from the circuit wiring.

Without tearing into the panel, this is about the best you can do for now. Opeing the panel to check the output of each breaker, hoping to find the one that is affecting the circuit is a risky chore, and you will need to have the skill to open and check inside.

Do the troubleshooting steps I have outlined so far, lets see if this can be solved before getting into the panel
    gov05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 01:18 PM
    Much thanks
    Thank you for your help!
    I had a loose wire on a light switch out in my garage.
    It is all fixed thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power dvd 5 [ 6 Answers ]

Right, I need some help with an error I keep getting while trying 2 watch dvds. It says that my " tv out put port of my diplsay card is not working properly" and I don't know how to solve this problem.. can anyone help?

Power cut off [ 3 Answers ]

After working on my PC for a few hours all power drops off. Immediately after, I just un-plug my modem and plug it back in again, the power light comes on and just by unplugging and plugging in the power cable to the back of the tower, it starts again. I don't think it's over heating, could it be a...

No power! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm hoping for some help on a problem I'm having with my pc: it refuses to power on! Its not the power supply because I have swapped power supplies with my brother's PC and my old one works fine in his; his one doesn't work in mine. I thought it might be the power outlet, so I moved my...

View more questions Search